Part 3

I sighed and took my glasses off and placed them on the desk next to me. I rested my head in my hands. It had been another long day at work. I had gotten a job as an editor of a newspaper, and I was just starting out. To prove that I had the potential, I was working so many extra hours. The long hours and the lack of sleep were starting to catch up to me, I was getting headaches constantly, and if I did sleep, my dreams were full of nightmares.

I sighed once again, looking out of my cubicle, noticing most of the lights in the building were shut off; most people had gone home a while ago. I glanced at my phone and noticed that it was already seven p.m. I picked up my purse and shoved everything I needed into it, and headed for the elevator down. There was no point in continuing to work when the quality of it would be less than half of what it normally is.

By the time I got home to my flat, I was drained. I literally closed my door, trudged to my room, and did a dramatic flop onto my bed, and fell asleep just like that, not even under the covers with my clothes from the day still on.

——

When I woke up, it was only six in the morning. It made sense though, because I went to bed around eight last night. I felt fully rested so there was no point in laying around, so I got up and trudged to the kitchen, blinking the sleep out of my eyes. As I opened the cupboard, I realized that it was completely empty. Same with the fridge. I had spent so much time at the office lately I hadn’t even really thought about eating or keeping my kitchen stocked. I sighed when all I could really salvage was cereal. Of course I didn’t have any milk. I grabbed my keys and left the house, prepared to go to the local convenience store as is. I mean it was six in the morning on a Saturday, I wasn’t going to run into someone I knew.

As I strolled down the aisles of the store grabbing all the necessities I would need for my house, I plugged my headphones in and started listening to music and shutting out the outside world. Right when I finally arrived at the milk, someone opened one of the freezer doors and it smacked me right in the face. I fell down, my groceries crashing everywhere while I was seeing stars.

“Holy shit, let me help you up I’m so sorry I figured no one would be here it’s like six in the freakin morning,” someone exclaimed. I still wasn’t fully back in it, so I just kind of sat there like a dead weight while this mystery person attempted to help me up. After a couple minutes of awkward struggle, I had come to my senses and I was standing on my own two feet without any assistance. I started to look up to thank this stranger when their grip on my arm vanished rather quickly and I heard a gasp.

Wide blue eyes. That’s all I saw. Wide beautiful, intense, blue eyes staring right at me in complete shock. The blue eyes were so familiar. I knew if I looked past the eyes all the other features would confirm what I was already thinking. Perrie.

I did look past the eyes eventually, and yep, it was most definitely Perrie. Her hair was more of a platinum blonde now instead of her natural blonde she used to have. Her lips seemed to be plumper, and she had grown. Her face in general was more mature than it used to be, which made sense considering it had been about six years since I had last seen her. The expression she had on her face now was basically impossible to decipher.

Out of all the things I could have possibly done, all I did was look at her and go, “Why are you up so early?” Back in the old days, Perrie was always so difficult to wake up, and it was a miracle if she was ever up before ten if it wasn’t a school day.

All she did was look back at me and open and closer her mouth like she wanted to say something, but the words never came out. I hope she knew that this is exactly how I felt six years ago. Just simply thinking the words ‘six years ago’ brought back so many memories and feelings, which is certainly not what I wanted at six in the freakin morning in some random convenience store.