The New Beginning: Harry's Confession

As you know, I decided to scrap the first few chapters of this. The only reason I haven't deleted them is because I put too much time and effort into those to just get rid of them for good. They're also a reference to keep me from repeating the same mistakes. So I hope you enjoy this new and improved, in my opinion, version of Just The Beginning!

It was just a few short days before Christmas vacation began, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat gathered around the common room fire. Hermione was relaxing in a chair, her feet dangling over the arm as her back rested on the other, a book in her lap and hot cocoa in her hand. On the couch across from her, Harry and Ron sat, hunched over the coffee table, their homework rolled across it haphazardly.

"You know, it might be easier to do your work if you could see it. Look at this mess. How on earth can you expect to work like that?" Hermione said, glancing at them from her book. Harry and Ron were dead silent, their concentration honed in on what they were writing. They were supposed to explain how to make a Polyjuice Potion, and though they had brewed one before, it was mostly Hermione doing the work while yelling at them to get out of the way. And it was back in their 2nd year, 6 years ago.

"I'm stumped!" Ron exclaimed, shocking the other two and causing Hermione to spill her drink all over herself. She quickly pulled the book away from her and examined it over panickedly, sighing in relief when she discovered that nothing had gotten on it. Then she glared at him.

"Maybe if you had actually done the research, or paid attention in class, you wouldn't be!" she responded angrily. Ron didn't respond. He only huffed and went back to his work while Hermione cleaned herself. Harry had been ignoring the two all together. He'd been too busy thinking. But not about his homework.

No, he was thinking about a certain person, with platinum blonde hair that shimmered in the sun, and mercury eyes that threatened to swallow him whole. He tried to clear his mind many times, but no matter how hard he tried, that beautiful person managed to worm their way into his thoughts.

Yes. Harry James Potter had a crush on Draco Lucius Malfoy. His arch-nemesis. His evil other half. The one who would always find something to bully Harry about. True, after the war, they'd parted on neutral terms, but that certainly didn't mean that he could just go up to Draco and tell him. Not even Ron and Hermione knew, and they were his best friends. They didn't even know he was gay.

He sighed and set down his quill, finally giving up and allowing himself to fantasize. He knew that Ron and Hermione would be arguing for a while. Ever since they broke up, they'd been at each other's throats. He usually would intervene, but this time, the fight gave him time to think. He rested his head on his hand, leaning on the table as he gazed blankly into the fireplace.

What if Draco were here? I wonder if he's going to stay for Christmas or if he's going to stay with someone. He can't stay with his parents since they're in Azkaban... He's probably going to stay here. He sighed dreamily, smiling softly, Imagine if we ran into each other in the hall! Maybe meet up to talk. If I can talk to him without babbling like a fool. He sighed again, this time out of frustration, a pout painting his face, I can look death straight in the face, and defeat the biggest baddie out there, but I can't talk to a cute boy! He groaned, dropping his head onto his arms dramatically. He was so lost in his anguished thoughts that he didn't realize the fighting had stopped.

"What's up with you?" Ron asked in a weirded out voice. Harry shocked out of his mind before blushing madly.

"N-nothing," he stuttered and then picked up his quill, pretending to write.

"Harry," Hermione said gently. He hummed in acknowledgment.

"You've got the quill upside down," she continued, humor laced in her voice. He looked at his hand, and sure enough, he held a feather in his fingers instead of a quill tip. He blushed more and flipped the quill back over.

"Harry. We know something is up with you. Tell us. We're not gonna judge you," his friend said, her voice soothing as she laid a hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah, mate. We're your best friends. You can tell us anything," Ron agreed. Harry sighed, and put the quill down, turning to his two friends. When he looked at their faces, he tried to engrave them into his brain, so caring and concerned. He didn't know if they'd ever look at him that way again after what he was about to tell them. He took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

"So..." he trailed off nervously, "Um... Well, I've been keeping a secret from you guys," he said. They deadpanned at him.

"Yes, Harry. We gathered as much," Hermione said. Harry shook his head.

"No... It's something I've been keeping secret this whole time... It's been eating me up inside, not telling you guys, but I'm scared of how you'll react..." He trailed off again.

"Why? You know we love you, Harry. Nothi-" "I'm gay." Harry cut Hermione off, ripping off the metaphorical bandaid. There was a long moment of silence where the two just stared at him. After a while, Harry began to panic.

"Oh, I knew I shouldn't have told you. I've ruined everything! Now I'm going to be a laughing stock, everyone is gonna hate me, you hate me... I'm so stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid!" he said as he paced about the room. He'd hit himself in the head multiple times with the heel of his palm before Hermione grabbed his wrist. He tried to pull away from her, wanting to keep hitting himself, but she pulled him back.

"Harry! Harry, look at me!" she demanded. He jumped but did as she said, looking into her eyes as his own brimmed with unshed tears.

"We don't hate you. You haven't ruined anything. We're just a bit shocked because it's very sudden for us. We just needed a moment to process what you'd said," she explained gently as Ron came up behind him and placed a comforting hand on his back. Harry tried to speak, but he was so relieved and so overwhelmed by the tide of emotions he'd felt at that moment that all that came out was a choked sob before he began crying, hugging Hermione tightly.

"Th-thank you!" he managed out through his tears, muffled by her shoulder. He felt Ron's hand rubbing circles on his back while Hermione stroked his hair as she cocooned him in her arms. He focused on those things, calming himself down, relaxing his breathing. When he felt calm enough, he sat up slowly, Ron removing his hand from his body and Hermione unwrapping him.

"Harry. You never have to be scared to talk to us. I'm guessing that you're having boy trouble?" Hermione said. Harry blushed and looked away.

"Heh... is it that obvious?" he asked nervously. Hermione gave him a kind smile.

"Yeah, mate, it is," Ron said lightheartedly. Harry chuckled slightly out of nervousness.

"So who's the lucky fella?" The previously named asked. Harry bit his lip.

"I can't tell you..." he said anxiously. Hermione pursed her lips.

"Harry. What did I just say?" She scolded gently. He shook his head.

"I really can't tell. I refuse. I am 100% sure that you will not approve," Harry refused. They continued to ask him throughout the night, but he would not tell them. He simply said that he liked a boy, and he had no intention of sharing his name. As they headed to bed, Harry pondered when he would share the name of his interest.

Not for a while, he'd thought as he covered himself up and shut his eyes, drifting off into sweet dreams of the one who'd filled his thoughts all that day.

IT'S RETURNED! That is right folks! The first chapter of the rewrite! Before, I didn't really have a plan for this story, but now, I am feeling rejuvenated, revived, and ready to rewrite this ridiculous mess of a story! That's all I got for you all for now! Hope you all like the new one as much as you liked the old version! Wordy County Timey Wimey!

Word Count: 1474

In case no one has told you today, you are beautiful, handsome, valid and important! I love you!

Goodbye!