9: The heirs and the price to pay

February 24, 1534

February 24, 1534

Pain and adrenaline course through my body as I struggle with labor. Lady Reed dabbed my forehead with a cloth as I cried out in pain. The midwives encourage me to keep pushing and pushing despite my cries and pleas telling them I couldn't do it. Try as I might the dark fear that I might not survive the birth of my children. I'd heard rumors of difficult labors, premature births, and other such complications. When I'd sent letters to family in Rome announcing my pregnancy, I'd received much advice and other such words and congratulations. Though I had to admit I was nervous and uncertain about my first pregnancy never had I allowed myself to indulge fears about not surviving the birth. Jane had a difficult labor as did Anne and Catherine although, not all of their children survived but they had. And yet Henry had disposed of them all, if I gave him both daughters and continued to do so no doubt I could find him back in Jane Seymour's bed.

I could not and would not fail my husband, kingdom, or my duty as Queen of England.

"You're nearly done your majesty your first babe is nearly here!" One of them cries out although I could hardly hear her over the sounds of my pain.

But finally just as I was felt the last bit of my strength leave me at least for a time, the first of my children was delivered.

"Congratulations your majesty.....it's a healthy baby boy." No doubt Henry would fall in love the moment he laid eyes on them. I could see them grown men, strong as warriors, tall and lean as their father, they would fine young men. My firstborn boy in the crook of my right arm and my second born in my left, I couldn't have felt better and more secure in that moment. Thought they were infants they were his fathers heirs and princes to England, I was now mother to the heirs of the throne.

~~~~

"Look at you....you both are absolutely beautiful." I coo looking down into the eyes of my two newborn sons. Their dark hair and blue and green eyes reminded me so much of Henry. They were so beautiful it was impossible to let midwives and nurses take them from my arms. Although I was incredibly exhausted I refuse to let my sons out of my arms or my sight. I was absolutely petrified that someone or something would take my children away.