8: Fragile Peace

It often surprises me how much you think you know someone

It often surprises me how much you think you know someone. When Henry and I reluctantly went to visit Jane and to see her babe a deepening feeling of dread pooled in my stomach. The whispers flew throughout the palace even as I lay in bed, despite a rather hard labor she'd delivered a boy.

A bastard but a boy.

When I'd sent a servant to deliver Henry's words and letter so that he might know the words didn't come from me; the serving girl returned pale and shaking. Despite my brothers anger it pleased me to know I could kill two birds with one stone.

Cesare was unruly back home in Rome, his attitude here had laced so that members of Henry's council could often be heard making remarks about the Queens wild brother. If she could marry him off and settle him in the English country side he would be out of sight and out mind.

Getting Jane out of the way was something I had waited for for months. The boy, Henry would never let leave his side at least until our children were born. Though I had said I would permit Jane to be my lady in waiting she was too close to my husband. If I or my child were to sit securely on the throne Jane would have to go.

My worst fears are confirmed the moment we step into the room. Jane lay pale in her bed holding a small wriggling bundle in her arms. She looked wearily happy as her eyes lay upon Henry, but as I link my arms through his, her eyes turned sour.

"Henry....our child a boy." Henry looks to me unsure if he should leave me to go to his newborn son. When I nod he all but bolts forward to hold his son, almost immediately I feel a cold spot where my husband once stood.

Creeping forward as Jane's child is placed into Henry's arms I peer over his shoulder. His boy is small, blonde, and complimented with blue eyes. He looks up and smiles holding up his tiny hands to the sky, it was as if he saw only the two of us as his mother and father.

"What night his name be?" I ask softly brushing my finger along the little boys cheek. Jane paused as if to think before giving me a response.

"Edward.....His name shall be Edward."

~~~~~
Jane Seymour

Jane was furious, tired yet furious.

She had just given birth and yet here Henry was telling her she was to marry. Not just anyone, both of them had the audacity to tell her she was to marry the queens brother. He was arrogant, wild, sneaky, and unworthy of her or so she thought.

As soon as she recovered they said; she was to be married and made a duchess. Her son Edward was to remain in the palace and be tutored and receive a title when he would come of age.

When Henry and Julianna had left she immediately summoned her brother and told him whatever plans he had that it was time to set them in motion. If she couldn't be queen then she would make damn sure no one else could be.