10

“I can’t believe you remember!” Nina squealed.

We were walking out of the theater. I was clinging to Josh as if my life depended on it. We kept exchanging glances. I needed to talk to him, about everything, so badly.

“Before you guys go make out in the alley,” Sara told us, “We’ve got backstage passes to meet the star. Or that’s how Taylor put it, anyway.”

She led us to a back door, where a security guard was standing. She pulled out a bunch of passes and handed it to him.

“We’re friends of Taylor’s,” Jake said importantly.

The security guard grunted and waved us in. Nina ran ahead and knocked loudly and repeatedly on a door that had a big gold star and “Taylor Johnsen” on it.

The door swung open and Taylor came into view. Nina tackled her on the ground.

Taylor cursed and pushed her off. She stood up and brushed herself off. “Hey, guys.”

She hugged each of us. “Hey Clara, I’m-”

“I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!” I screamed excitedly.

She stepped back. “YOU DO?!”

“YES! Something clicked when I saw you and I remembered everything!”

“I am a miracle worker. I should be worshipped. Grovel at my feet, peasants.”

Nina gave her a pointed look.

“It’s true. But I’m happy for you, Clarie! Come sit in my dressing room, guys. I have a dressing room!”

We all crowded into the little room.

“BLACK POWER!” Nina screamed randomly.

“Huh?” Faith said.

“First black Alice.” Taylor flicked her hair over her shoulder. “Paving the way for black children everywhere.”

“Actually, um, I wasn’t talking about you.” Nina flicked her hair over her shoulder, mocking Taylor.

“Then what were you talking about?”

“Not sure. Pandas, maybe?”

“You’re on drugs,” Sara mumbled.

“I hate to break up the party, but Clara and I have dinner reservations.” Josh cleared his throat awkwardly.

“Cool, we’ll all come.” Jake grinned.

“Um…Dinner reservations for, uh, two, sorry.”

“Translation: Clara and I aren’t actually going to dinner, we’re going to make out in the back of my car,” Jake added helpfully.

“It’s a step up from the alley,” Sara said.

I blushed. “Guyyys, we’re going to dinner.”

“Sure you are. You remembered to book the hotel room, right Josh?” Jake elbowed Josh in the side.

“Yeah, why- oh. Shut up. Clara and I are just going out to dinner.”

“I mean, we’ll probably go back to the hotel eventually,” I mumbled, low enough so that only Faith and Taylor heard.

“Get some,” Taylor mumbled back.

I snorted and ignored Josh’s curious glance. I stood up. “What time are our reservations for?”

“6.”

“It’s 5:45 now. We actually should probably go…”

“DON’T GO!” Nina screamed, latching onto my leg.