“I’m sorry.” He got up and left.

*

“Morning,” Josh said as I walked into the kitchen, glancing up from his bagel.

“Hey.”

“I have to work today. I’ll be home around 3:30. The number for the garage that I work at is on the refrigerator. It’s probably in your phone, too, which is upstairs on the nightstand in my room. Call me if you need anything. Try my cell before you call work. Someone is going to stop by in a half hour or so. Go ahead and let them in.” So he was just going to act as if the kiss had never happened? Alright then.

“What? Who? Why are you being so mysterious?”

“It’s a surprise. Actually, they should be here pretty soon. I’d better get going. Bye.” He kissed my cheek and was out the door.

I was in the middle of eating breakfast when the doorbell rang.

I got up and looked through the window. A boy stood on the doorstep. He had dark hair and eyes. I opened the door.

“Hi. I’m Clara.”

“Hey Clara. I’m Matt.”

“Josh said you’d be coming over.”

“Oh good. I was worried you wouldn’t let me in.”

“Nope. Come on in.”

He walked inside. “It’s pouring out there.”

“It’s so pretty. I like the rain.”

“Me too. Except it makes the dogs smell horrible.”

“You have dogs? Want to sit down?”

“Sure.”

We sat down on the couch. He was sort of cute.

“So you have dogs?”

“Two German Shepherds. George and Allen.”

“Aw! Do you have pictures?”

He pulled out his phone and showed me a picture.

“They’re so cute! I feel like I’ve seen you before. Like in a picture, maybe.”

“I don’t think we’ve ever met. But I’m a friend of Josh’s, so maybe there’s a picture around here somewhere.”

“That’s probably it.” My mind was scrambling frantically to make a connection. “This is going to sound weird, but are you single?”

Matt smiled, showing off his dimples. “Sure am.”

“Ohhh. Of course. Josh keeps trying to set me up with people. Last night I had to go on a date with this egotistical jerk. But you don’t seem half bad. He’s making progress.”

“So that’s why Josh called me up yesterday, frantically asking me to come see you.” Matt laughed, leaning his head back on the couch.

“That would explain it…I have a million things I need to ask you.”

“Go ahead.”

“Where are you from?”

“I live here. I work with Josh.”

“Is that your natural hair color?”

“Yup.”

“Tattoos?”

“Um…yeah. Two.”

“Can I see? Oh, sorry, that probably sounds weird.”

“It’s fine.” He rolled up the sleeve of his sweatshirt a little and pointed to a tattoo that was on the underside of his right wrist. It was an “E” with a heart around it.

 “What’s it stand for?”

“Um…an old girlfriend. Ella.”

“Oh. I’m sorry. Did she break up with you?”

“No…um…she actually died three years ago.”

“I’m so sorry. God, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay. It was a car accident. She was amazing, but she wasn’t the type of person to want anyone to dwell on her. We’re just lucky our daughter survived.”

Whoa. “You have a daughter?”

He showed me the other wrist. It was an “L” with a heart around it. “Her names Layla. She’s almost 4.”

4. That was the age I was when I hid behind the door, aka my only memory…

“Picture?”

He showed me one on his phone. She had long, dark hair and was smiling brightly at the camera.

“She’s adorable. She’s going to be absolutely gorgeous when she’s older.”

He nodded. “Her mom was a total heartbreaker. All the guys were in love with her.”

“I bet she was.”

He smiled sadly.

“I totally want to meet Layla. I love little kids.”

He visibly paled.

“What’s the matter? Oh, God, sorry, I’m coming on too strong, aren’t I? I don’t have to meet her; it’s fine.”

“No, no, you’re fine. I just, um, I just remembered it’s my mom’s birthday today. I totally forgot.”

“You’d better call her.”

“I will later. She’s at work right now, anyway.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Want to go to dinner tonight?”

“Sure. I just can’t stay out too late because I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow at 10.”

“Sounds good. I have to get home to Layla, anyway. I don’t like to leave her with a babysitter for too long.”

“You should just drop her off here! Josh’s not doing anything tonight.”

His eyes widened. “Uh…”

“What is it?”

“Sorry. It’s just that I don’t, um, I don’t really trust Josh to take care of my child.”

I laughed, shaking my head. “He’s not that bad! I’m pretty much like a little kid, anyway, and he takes care of me.”

“Uh…Alright. I’ll talk to Josh.”

“It’s so cute how protective you are of her.”

“She’s my everything.”

“Where’s she now?”

“Daycare. I have to go to work soon. Oh crap, I have to go to work like now. I’ll pick you up at 6?”

“Sounds good. Talk to Josh and see about tonight, okay?”

“Okay. It was really nice to meet you, Clara.”

“You too, Matt. See you later.”

“Bye.”

He left, and I collapsed on the couch, my mind full of thoughts of Josh and Matt.