With Youth comes Innocence

Start from the beginning

"I'm finished!" A small voice chirped from behind you, and you turned to see Varian, his hands behind his back, wearing clothes that were still a little too big. Oh well. You grabbed hold of his hand and walked him over to the front door.

"Where are we going?" Varian asked, rocking back and forth on his toes. You looked down at him.

"We're going to the castle," you said, and Varian immediately lit up.

"We're going to see 'Punzel!" He beamed and you laughed.

"Sure, let's go see Rapunzel," you chuckled, and led Varian out of the door.

---------------------------------------------------

"He WHAT!" Cassandra yelled, scaring Varian. He grabbed hold of your skirts tightly and moved behind you. You leant down to him and picked him up.

"It's okay, she won't hurt you," you assured, and Varian nodded, so you put him back down. You nodded down to Varian at Cassandra, and she rolled her eyes, leaning down.

"Hey, kid, how are y'doing?" She hesitated, softening her face. Varian blinked at her.

"Cassie!" he sang, grabbing hold of her cheeks. Cassandra smiled slightly as she pushed his hands away.

"Its Cass, Varian," she reminded, before turning away, insinuating for them to follow.

"Okay Cassie!" Varian bounced, and ran after her, pulling you along. You could almost hear Cassandra's eyes roll.

--------------------------------------------

"Oh (Y/N), who's this little guy!" Rapunzel gushed, tickling Varian's chin. You smiled.

"That would be Varian, princess," you laughed. She stopped in her tracks, looking up at you.

"What?" She asked, confused.

"The idiot was making wrinkle cream, and de-aged himself 10 years," you sighed, and Varian stomped his foot in protest.

"I am not an idiot," he argued, and crossed his arms.

"Varian, I can't take you seriously when you look like that," you laughed, and Varian stomped his foot again, although he didn't say anything.

"Oh, Varian, you do make a very cute child," Rapunzel giggled, "especially when you're throwing a strop." Varian opened his mouth to argue, but closed it again. Thank god he didn't have the teenage snark anymore.

"Anyways, princess, could you send word to Xavier, I was hoping he might have something that could help," you asked, looking at Rapunzel, who nodded. Varian pulled on your skirts.

"Yes, Varian?" You asked. He looked really nervous, and he was fiddling with his thumbs.

"I love you," he whispered, and you smiled at him.

"I love you, too, you idiot, but lets get you back to you," you said, and he nodded in agreement.

"That's so cute!" Rapunzel squealed, and picked up Varian, spinning him around. Varian laughed with her, childlike wonder taking over. You grinned to yourself.

--------------------------------------------------

Varian was sat on the bed with a picture book, invested in the drawings on each page. He swung his legs contently, and occasionally laughed at something he'd seen. There was a knock on the door, and Eugene walked in with a vial in hand.

"O ho ho!" he exclaimed, looking at Varian on the bed, "Blondie wasn't kidding. He's adorable!"

Varian looked up and stuck his tongue out, looking back down at his book, which just made Eugene laugh more.

"Varian?" You asked, sweetly.

"Yeah?" He said faintly, still focused on his book.

"Eugene got the cure," you declared, and immediately the book was on the floor and Varian was by your side.

"I don't want to be short anymore," he highlighted, and you smiled at him.

"Varian, you were short before. Now, go get in the bed and cover your body with the blanket," you asked, and he ran off to do as you said.

You took the vial from Eugene and walked over to Varian, now covered by the sheet. You gave him the vial, which he drunk quickly.

Immediately his body began to smoke, and soon you couldn't even see him through the haze. You stepped back, watching intently at the scene in front of you, your heart pounding in your chest. Oh, you hoped it worked.

Cough. Cough. You could hear raspy coughs coming from in the smoke.

"Can I have my clothes?" Varian asked from inside the smoke, still coughing.

You rushed forwards and jumped on him, pressing your face into his. Your lips connected for a second, before you pulled away and wrapped your arms around his bare torso.

"Never. Do. That. Again," you demanded, and he had the gall to laugh at you, fiddling with your hair.

"Dually noted," he smirked, and pressed his lips on yours once more. Eugene coughed.

"Oh, right, sorry Eugene," you apologised, Varian blushing profusely. Silence fell for a while, and all three of them stood there awkwardly, until Varian broke the silence.

"Can I have my clothes, please" He pleaded.

You laughed.