4. R-ivalry

ˈrīvəlrē: competition for superiority or for the same objective

--------------------

Sometime shortly after the holiday season ended, both Lilly and Rick commenced onto the next crucial stage of their life: education. As expected of a proper Englishman's son, Rick was promptly sent off to Eton once he had turned ten years old, initiating the shedding of boyhood and the arduous transition into manhood.

It was during this time that Lilly felt quite lonely and spent most of her time in the family library, occasionally sneaking off to her father's study for additional reading material. Knowledge followed next in line for her passions and books served as the vessel to explore her voracious pursuits.

It had been a gloomy day in the late fall when she was quietly perusing through her father's biggest atlas, seated in front of the sizable wooden desk in his study while he worked.

Glancing up from his papers, he smiled as he saw his daughter absorbed in thought, a crease between her brows as she faintly frowned down at the pages containing the world map.

"Is something the matter?" He questioned curiously.

She looked up at him, brown eyes slightly widened in surprise. She looked smaller in comparison to the tall Atlas barely contained in her lap, one hand curled around the top of the spine to secure it upright.

"Well, yes. Sort of." Flipping to-and-fro between the pages, her fingers pointed to the various red lines marked on one of them. "I noticed these on each of the maps. What are they?"

Mr Linton glanced down to what she was looking at, and raised a questioning brow.

"What do you think they are supposed to be?"

Lilly's frown deepened. "Hm, maybe...decoration? To make the maps more colourful?"

He stared at her for a moment, then shook his head and chuckled. "Interesting assumption, but not quite. Those are trade routes."

"Trade routes?"

"Yes, the common paths that traders use for exchanging goods from other places far away." Upon seeing his daughter's unimpressed reaction, he continued with a levelled look. "Trade is far more important than you think, Lilly. It has served as the driving force for many events and is a strong tool for power and wealth."

At that, Lilly's expression lit up excitedly, her eyes gleaming. "Really?"

Her father's gaze slightly softened upon seeing the genuine curiosity his daughter held. She was a rather peculiar creature, bold and taking interest in matters others often overlooked. In many ways, she reminded him of his younger self.

"I see it's time for a history lesson then. Hand the Atlas to me and bring your chair over here." He instructed.

She promptly followed his directions and he spent the rest of the afternoon regaling her with all sorts of interesting tales of the world's past while they flipped through the different maps– some with happy endings, most of them with sad ones, but nonetheless, all of them venturesome and pivotal.

--- --- ---

A few days after, Mr Linton instructed the family governess to begin Lilly's formal education. At first, his wife was rather confused, wondering as to why their daughter was to be subjected to the process at an earlier age than their older daughters had been. However, that changed after he had explained to her his rationale on Lilly's precocious nature and she as well supported the notion.

Lilly was excited too– well, at first. Her spirits were dampened when the governess also insisted on etiquette training and embroidery lessons, two activities that Lilly did her best to hide away from in a secluded part of the house. The former only achieved reprimands and the latter perforated her fingers instead of the cloth.