Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Jackson: Can we talk?

I tried my best to not let my curiousity and fear show, especially since Kyle was so close by.

Lyla: No.

Jackson: Will see you tonight.

My heart beat increased at the promise in his response and I shove my phone into the side pocket of my bag before Kyle started asking questions.

Since I read Jackson's message I couldn't stop freaking out the whole time I was home. I didn't feel comfortable sitting or laying down and ended up pacing back and forth in my room while my mind tried to pinpoint what exactly Jackson wanted to talk about.

At exactly seven o'clock, I heard a tapping on my window and I gasped in shock when I saw the jock perched on the roof by my window. He smirked at my expression and I quickly slid my window up.

"Are you crazy? How did you even end up there?" I snapped, helping him inside my room.

"Skills Lyla, skills." he mused with a cocky expression.

I folded my arms and glared at him. "I thought I told you no."

"And yet you were anxiously pacing back and forth in your room waiting for me?" he smirked.

I blushed and walked to sit on my bed. He glanced around my room briefly then settle his orbs on me. "Because I know you'd do something like this." I muttered, slightly embarrassed he caught me earlier.

"I thought it was cute." he smirks.

My cheeks flushed and I swallowed. "What do you want to talk about?"

He sighed and nod his chin to my bed. "Mind if I sit?" he asked and I shook my head. He sat exactly beside me, brushing his shoulder with mines, and causing the aroma of his cologne to rise to my nostrils.

"It's about Kyle," he began and my instincts took me to the favor he told me Kyle asked him yesterday.

"I'm listening."

He met my eyes with a slight knitt between his brows. "He asked me to...Basically look out for you." he told me.

The confusing look on his face matched the way I was currently feeling. That didn't make any sense to me. Why would Kyle ask Jackson to do that?

"That doesn't make any sense." I scoffed.

"I thought the same thing too. I mean isn't that his job?"

I looked away from Jackson, doubts clouding my judgement. "Why should I believe you?"

Jackson scoffed. "I climbed your roof to tell you this Lyla, besides I don't lie. Look, I'm not sure what's going on with your boy, but he sounded like he was going to...Disappear or something crazy like that. All I'm saying is, to be prepared for anything. I'll keep an eye out too." he warned, pausing to stare at my reaction.

I clenched my fists hoping to calm my anxiety at the warning. It drove a fear in me that I couldn't seem to dampen. I haven't seen any signs that aligned in Jackson's explanation. However, Jackson isn't a liar, right?

His familiar rough hand run over my shoulder and stayed there. The action made me meet his eyes and he gave me a sad smile. "Don't freak out just yet. He could just be telling me that because he thinks we're close." he assumed.

I shook my head. "The last I checked Jackson, Kyle doesn't even like you. This doesn't make sense at all." I reasoned.

He seemed thoughtful for a moment before he spoke again. "I'm going to try my best to figure him out okay? Just act natural until then. I promise Lyla."

I searched his blue orbs and immediately felt reassured because I knew he meant it. Apart of me, despite our past conflicts, was actually grateful for Jackson within that moment. It marvelled me how nice he was being despite my rejection.

"Why are you doing this?" I whispered.

He smirked. "Well your boyfriend did ask-" he groaned with a soft chuckle when I elbowed him.

"I'm serious Jackson." I affirm.

He sighed and studied my face briefly. The action made my heart accelerate in anticipation. "You know why," he whispered, "I care for you."

-With Love, Chan

-With Love, Chan.