Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

I didn't get one.

I yelled his name multiple of times. I looked for him outside, I even checked some other rooms but he wasn't home. I got my phone from the bedside table. And opened my messages, there was one from Ahmed and another from an unknown number.

Ahmed: I am so sorry I left without telling you, you were peacefully asleep I didn't want to wake you. I have to attend a very important meeting.

The chauffeur will come pick you up at 1:00 o'clock, and he'll bring to a restaurant where we will have lunch.

Love you 😘 ❤️

Me: I love you too ❤️

After reading Ahmed's message, I then read the other message I had received from an unknown number, deep down knowing exactly who it is. I stood still for a moment, not knowing what to reply. It was like wave of guilt, remorse and heartache took over my body. The message was from Adil. He's the only one who calls me Layl. It's obvious it's him, but what am I to reply to a message like this. A message pops again and it's from Adil, he sent me his whereabouts, exact location. It's obvious what I had to do, it was clear where I had to go.

When the chauffeur came to pick me up at 1:00 o'clock. I told him the location to take me, he was confused at first, but he had no choice but to agree. My chaotic mind, and desperate heart couldn't take it. I texted Ahmed and explained, but he didn't respond. I even tried calling him but his phone was switched off, he's probably still in the meeting. I couldn't get through to him.

How do you convince a man to stop from taking his own life or ruining it? How can I?If only there were medicine to heal aching hearts, but I will remind mind about Allah s.w.t. The mender of hearts, the most gracious. He is the only one that holds that power of fixing hearts and despaired souls. I'll remind him to be patient. I looked out of the window, tears slowly trickling down my cheeks.

I started blaming myself, it felt like I caused his pain and suffering and I never waned to make anyone feel like so. It's my fault. I cried even more at the thought of Adil's death. I feel like a little girl who is lost in a crowded place, hoping someone finds her. Hoping her mother... her mother finds her. Trying to find consolation, praying for her mother's warmth in this cold cruel world.

"We have arrived Mrs Ahmed," The chauffeur spoke, bringing me back to this reality. I quickly wiped my tears and faked a momentarily smile. I got out of the car and walked, searching around for Adil. I am at one of the beautiful gardens in Dubai. I walked around for a while, I couldn't find him. I decided to sit on a bench. I stare at my reflection on my phone screen, watching myself battle myself from crying.

"Hey Layl," A familiar voice said. It's Adil... I look up to see him, his eyes red and swollen. Sadness lingering on his face.

"Hi. Assalam alaykum," I greeted him and stood up.

"Waalikum salam," He replied. "I am happy that you came," he said.

"I was worried about you," I told him.

"You don't have to be anymore," he said. Adil suggested that we walk as we talked. I didn't mind it. "I am leaving," He said, after a minute of silence.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

"Anywhere but here, I haven't decided yet. Aisha isn't who she pretends to be. She is a liar," He spoke, his tone low.

"I am sorry," I told him.

"Don't be sorry Layla. This is my life, the plot, in good time I'll have an explanation for my past miseries. I can't stay here anymore, to be able to endure false hope twice takes a heart I am yet to have," He said, looking ahead. I looked back down at the steps I took.