Chapter 6: Hugs for Rose

"What about this one?" Rose asked, pivoting from the display table of camisole tank tops to where Rey stood adjacent

Rey cocked her head, upper lip drawn awry at the dark burgundy garment that Rose was holding for approval, pinched between her forefingers and thumbs. It was almost identical to the others that Rose suggested; except one had been black and the other a pukey shade of mustard.

"It looks just like the other two," Rey scoffed, watching her friend's hopeful face fall to distress.

Why did it matter if the shirt was blue or pink or – whatever? Rey dared to ask just as much, and Rose fired back with a look that was the equivalent to someone having stomped on her foot.

"Please, tell me you didn't just ask me that!" Rose cried out dramatically, raising her voice over the grunge music that played inside the apparel store known as Garage.

Who in the hell would name a clothing store after a space where cars were stored? Or let alone shop in one! But Rey refrained to ask, fearing that Rose would find it more blasphemous than the previous question.

"I guess I did," Rey shrugged, confirming the obvious without remorse.

"The cami is what pulls the entire outfit together, duh!" Rose quipped with a not so subtle roll of her eyes. "And I need something that'll match this sweater."

Rey snorted, drawing her arms into a fold over her chest. The motion made the little pink and striped bag from Victoria's Secret in her grasp bump against her side. "Then why do you need my opinion? I'm the last person you should be asking about this."

It was true, as a matter of fact. Rey never spent time gushing over clothes in magazines or kept up with the latest trends like Rose, which surprised her when she agreed to go on the after-school trip to University Park Mall after Rose invited her during lunch.

Watching the fashion diva prowl through the clothing racks at every department store, in search for the perfect outfit for Poe's party, was like witnessing a glamorized episode of a predator stalk their prey on the Discovery Channel. Not a single article of woven silk, denim, or cotton was left untouched, and underwent a heavy inspection before Rose declared it unfit for the event.

So for Rose to want Rey's opinion over something as simple as 'what color tank top should I get' was more than enough for the notion to be considered honorable.

"Because you're my friend and, obviously, your opinion matters so that I don't look like a mismatched tramp at this party tomorrow," Rose assured with a pout.

Rey heaved a sigh and lowered her gaze from Rose's pleading eyes, regarding the cardigan that was draped over the crook of her arm. It was a frothy shade of espresso, embellished with a red and black Aztek design, enhanced by a jagged cream-colored border that offset the darker diamond-shaped designs from the brown.