Part 4

The next week was spent up almost every night with Feyre over the toilet, emptying her stomach. Even though I begged her to see a healer, she protested, saying that she wasn't sick, and that it would soon go away. It was how the Archeron's had acted when they were still in the human realm, Elain once explained; if whatever she felt lasted less than a week or two, it wasn't worth wasting the money or the time to get a healer.

But she was starting to worry all of us. She couldn't eat a lot of spicy or greasy foods. She prefered crackers and breads. I was in the kitchen making breakfast for Feyre. A real breakfast for the first time in a week. But before I finished, she came in.

"Oh, Rhys. It's okay. I don't want anything heavy," she said.

Of course she didn't. I slammed my hands down on the counter and whirled around to face her. "Damn it, Feyre! You have to eat," I told her. I knew without asking that she had lost a few pounds since last week-not significant, but still-and I knew it was because she refused to eat and threw up everything that she did. "This isn't healthy." And before she could object I added, "I'm getting a healer to come over and look at you right now."

She looked shocked at my tone. I didn't raise my voice at her. Ever. But the way she was losing weight reminded me too much of the time after Under the Mountain, the three months that she had waisted away day by day. She was nowhere near as skinny as she was then, but it still terrified me.

I sighed and crossed the distance between us and cradled her face in my hand. I looked down at her as she grabbed my forearms. "Sorry, but—Feyre, this is scaring me. Please, please see a healer. Please, my darling." She had rejected healers when I asked, but what if I begged?

"Alright, I'll see a healer. I'm sorry for scaring you." She moved her hands to my face. "I'm still not used to being able to have a healer whenever I might need one. And I have a different body now, it's still strange sometimes. But I'll see a healer. For you, I will." For me. I wanted to shake my head. So selfless. At least she is accepting a healer. I sighed in relief and leaned my forehead against hers. Thank the gods.

I placed a request for a healer to come as soon as possible, for unfortunately the more experienced ones were at a meeting in Dawn Court, and wouldn't be back for at least another couple days. The Inner Circle was relieved when I told them later that night, after Feyre had gone to bed. She was so tired lately.

"About time." Amren said, not bothering to glance up from her book.

"I can finally get some sleep!" Cassian yawned.

Mor shot him a glare. "Aren't you worried about how unhealthy this is for her?"

"Of course, that's why I'm up so late. But I'm tired," Cass complained.

"Big deal. We all are." Nesta snapped. Cassian walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her from behind, putting his face next to hers.

"Well, if you wouldn't keep me up all night, then maybe I wouldn't be so sleepy."

Nesta shook him off and stalked out of the room. "I'm going to bed," she called over her shoulder.

Cassian walked after her. "Good idea. I think I'll join you." He turned and walked backwards while giving a lazy solute. "See you in the morning." They went to the roof, and from there Cassian would carry Nesta to the House. She had taken to staying there instead of the townhouse a few months ago. Feyre had noticed immediately.

It was silent for a moment in the room, then Az sighed, standing up. "I think I'm also going to bed. I have to go check on a situation in one of the camps early tomorrow."

"See you later," I said as he passed.

He nodded back at me, and walked up the stairs and heading to the roof. I glanced over to Amren.

"Well, go on," she said.

I frowned, not sure of what she meant.

"Oh, don't pretend to be confused. Go to bed." She gestured behind me to the stairs.

"Are you going back to your apartment?" I asked. She had never stayed the night here.

She snorted. "Of course. Later though. This is a comfortable couch. I might take it with me someday." She shrugged.

"But then we'd never get to see you," I said, tilting my head slightly as I smiled softly.

"That's a sad thing?"

"Of course. You are my second in command, you know."

She smiled ever so slightly. "And you're still standing here. Shoo-shoo.She waved me away, quickly bored with the conversation. She turned a page in the novel she held and continued reading. I smiled and left.

I dashed up the stairs, slowing only when I got near the room. Quietly closing the door behind me, I strode over to the bed. I looked down at my mate, resting peacefully. It was a warm night and she had pushed the covers to the end of the bed. She wore one of my tunics she had likely found in the closet instead of a silk or satin—or lace—nightgown. I smiled; I loved it when she wore my clothes.

I stripped off the garments I wore and climbed in next to her. She shifted, and blinked open her eyes to look at me.

Hi, she murmured tiredly to my mind.

Hello, my darling. I laid my head on her stomach, and she stroked my hair. I closed my eyes, and sighed. Her breathing slowed and her hand eventually stilled in my hair. I listened to the familiar sound of her steady heartbeat. It calmed me, and I knew that, no matter what was making her sick, she would be alright. Her heart was strong, and she could survive anything. It was then, with my hearing tuned to her heart, that I noticed, something. A sound I hadn't heard before. It was her heartbeat, but I could swear there were two hearts beating. Nearly in sinc.

I frowned. Now that I had acknowledged the sound, it seemed louder. More... there. I blocked everything else out of my mind and listened.

Lub dub.

And echoing slightly fainter, Lub dub.

There it was: a small heartbeat underlying hers. I lifted my face, and stared at her stomach. Could it be ? It would explain why she was sick. I lowered my head to rest my ear against her belly once more. I moved lower, tracking the sound. It was loudest right below her belly button. It had to be...

My mate was pregnant.