I’ve always been a horrible liar and there is only so many ‘fines’ he’ll buy.

Something needs to happen.

Normally I’d be talking to Tyler since Edgar isn’t an option but he’s off to visit his sister, Nora. A relationship he’s told me is strained due to her relationship with her mate, which Tyler isn’t too fond of. So I’ve turned to Florence the past few days to voice my concerns to but all I get is a tilt of the head and a meow.

She is in reality a shitty listener.

I’m at a stalemate and it’s driving me insane.

I don’t know what to do.

I don’t know what to do at all.

I need an outlet but when is pretty much as indestructible as bamboo the options are limited. Too limited. Sex or biting has worked in the past but the air between Edgar and I is tainted. I think he knows about my attempt to fall into old habits and since that day he’s been distancing himself from me no matter his pretty words or his promises.

It’s making me sink back into the old melancholy. The one I promised myself I wouldn’t go back to but demons are hard to kill. Especially demons that don’t know when to die. Letting the man in my arms fall to the ground I walk over his cold body and scale the fire escape down the way. I like doing this now, walking alone across the rooftops looking down at the people below. It makes me feel terribly alone but also like the ultimate predator as well.

Perched on a ledge, watching the sheep below.

“What are you doing up here?”

I spin around at the sound of Edgar’s voice and shrink back a bit at the rage on his face. I guess he should be angry, I didn’t tell him I was leaving to feed but honestly he’s been so cold to me lately I don’t know how to approach him. Call it being a chicken or whatever but I’ve never been good with confrontation.

“Just…looking.” I answer lamely, quietly.

“Just looking? I’ve been looking for you everywhere! You blocked me out of our mental bond and I couldn’t sense you anywhere! Do you realize how worried you made me? I had to use your scent to track you here and with the rain it was faint at best! Do you even realize how insane I was going back at the house?”

“You’re not my keeper.” I whisper.

“No but I am your mate and effectively your husband. You cannot run off without telling me. Do you realize that there are hunters out there?”

“Hunters?”

“Yes.” He snaps, crimson eyes blazing brightly in the darkness. “Hunters. We’re killers, Anna, did you honestly think we were untouchable? Did you think that a few humans wouldn’t have caught on?”

I drop my head, “I don’t know.”

“Fuck!” he hisses and I flinch.

“I’m sorry.” I whisper.

He growls lowly, “Don’t apologize to me. Explain.”

“I just…needed some fresh air and you were…busy.”

“Busy?”

“Yes.”

“Bullshit, Anna. I know you.”

I don’t respond but I do avert my gaze to the ledge of the building we’re standing on. I wish I could escape this fight. I don’t want to fight with him and I hate it when he treats me like an errant child but I also know it’s out of worry. No matter how idiotic his delivery he’s just as confused about my behavior. He doesn’t know how to deal with me.