CHAPTER EIGHT

chapter eight

chapter eight.
reigning pain in new orleans

KLAUS BEAT THE fork within his hold against the wine glass that had fitted what he had figured with a celebration unlike the vampires that surrounded the table. Having the Mikaelson in charge was not a dream they had wished for but it was Klaus', he had been waiting for the day he would take over Marcel's empire and it had finally happened. Esme sat among the vampires and the one werewolf who she sat beside knowing that Hayley knew only her amongst the others they sat with them at the dining table that was made to have had for celebration of Klaus' victory the other night. As the clanging echoed throughout the middle of the compound it had made Klaus the centre of attention as he rose to his feet believing he owed them all a speech even with knowing they hated him.

Esme sighed as she rested back into her seat hating the gathering in which Klaus had ordered to prove he was taking heavy control over the French Quarter. The Browne had somewhat found it impossible to have had gotten herself out of having dinner with people she didn't like. Her distance away from Marcel had been noticed, she avoided being in the same room as him, making eye contact and talking to him but Klaus made it impossible with the dinner he had called that gathered them all.

"Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift--immortality." Esme rolled her eyes as her fingers ran through her hair with knowing that Klaus was liking the taste of power far too much. "After 1,000 years, one might expect for life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrow to diminish with time, but as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possible imagine..." He had gestured for the waiters he had compelled to each stand by side a vampire. "Insatiable need, exquisite pain...." Esme raised a brow at the waiters that rolled up their sleeves before slitting their wrists for their blood to pour into the glasses. The Browne scoffed at her glass that had been filled with blood as she wondered what kind of dinner she was sitting in. "our victories, and our defeats. To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow."

Marcel had chosen to join in with the toast causing Esme's head to shake. She came back to New Orleans for a fight for power. "And the party never end." The Gerard told as he raised his glass up to join the hybrid in cheers.

"To New Orleans." Diego raised his glass as he joined in with the toast.

"To New Orleans."

Esme's head shook as she lifted up her glass. "To getting the hell out of this city." She mumbled to herself.

"I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invite you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated." Esme's brows furrowed in confusion as she wondered what Klaus had been conjuring up and which she had been unknown to. "No. My intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have, what Marcel, in fact, took and built into this--a true community of vampires." Klaus' hand rested on the Gerard's shoulder to praise him for what he had done since the Mikaelsons absence.