21 - Four and sure

Start from the beginning

"No, no." I say quickly. "It's not about Penny. It's about me."

My heart is beating so loudly. Or maybe it's Luca's loafer tapping on the floor.

"What about you?" He asks warily. Luca knows this is rare. He knows this is something big. Because not once have I gone to him about anything. Even the other week, when I told him I was taking an extra day off, it had been simple. Luca knows I don't leave the refrigerator door open, he knows I have no mistake to admit to.

I fold my hands against my crusty apron and then unfold them again. If any customer dares to come in right now, I'll kill them myself. I lick my lips.

"I've been given an opportunity," I begin. "A really good opportunity that I want to accept." Luca's eyes narrow. "But it means I'll be gone for a while. Like not here, not in Melbourne." Sheesh, I'm making a right mess of this.

Luca drops his briefcase and scratches his forehead. "Skip to the point, Juniper."

I know Luca and therefore I know he's not asking me for the specific details. He doesn't care for the ins and outs of this opportunity, not really. He just cares about what it's got to do with him.

I puff my cheeks out and they flush scarlet. "I need at least thirty-eight days away from work. A sabbatical. And then I'll be back." I swallow. "Please."

He scratches his head again and the silence is deafening, painful even. "You know you and Penny are my only employees, right?" I nod. "And you know she only really works weekends because of school." I nod again.

I know this is not convenient for Luca or for the business, but I also know that he can get a temp and that I need to do this.

"I'm coming back, Luca." I repeat for good measure, although I don't know if Luca cares much for my word. "I promise."

He purses his lips and I curl my right hand around the counter for support. "Let me guess," he sighs. "This has something to do with that magazine article that Penny was screeching about?"

I blush again and nod. "I won't bore you with the details but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, Luca. I love my job and I want to come back to it, but I really want to do this too."

I don't want to sound too desperate but the truth of the matter is that I am desperate. I want this time with Harry so badly and if Luca says no then I'm going to have no choice other than to hand my notice in.

I'm not sure if this job was meant for the long term when I applied six years ago, or when I sat opposite Luca at the window table for my interview. But somehow now, I can't seem to imagine my life without it. Much like I can't imagine my life without Harry.

Luca studies me for a moment, watching me from under his deep set frown and heavy lidded eyes. I know he's not thrilled. I know he's probably thinking about his employees and cursing us flaming women! But Luca is a good guy. He'll come through, he has to.

He releases the longest sigh. Longer than when Penny smashed the glass of the gelato counter. Or when there was a power cut and everything melted. Even longer than when Penny begged him to close early on Christmas Eve because she'd not done any Christmas shopping. It goes on for so long that I'm not sure it's ever going to stop. And as he exhales, I can't help but feel he's emptying my own lungs at the same time.

"Alright, Juniper." He says eventually, tone subdued. "You have yourself a deal."

I gasp, and then, much to the bewilderment of the both of us - I throw my arms around his neck.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I squeal in Penny-like fashion. "Oh my gosh, Luca. Thank you so much!"

Luca does not reciprocate my excitement and after a moment of awkward silence, I realise I'm still hanging off of his neck. I untangle my arms and step backwards, my hands shaking and cheeks burning.

"Ok then." He mutters, face equally as crimson as my own. "We'll talk specifics tomorrow, so get out of here before I change my mind."

The door to the staff room closes and I perform a fist pump. I can't stop grinning. Adrenaline courses through my veins with an unstoppable determination and I don't know what to do with myself.

This is happening my brain shouts. This is really happening.

Harry and Juni, Juni and Harry. We're going to take on America.

author's note: apologies for another delay!! Hope you enjoy -- let me know! Who is excited for the Harry & Juni American tour???!!! :)

Also, if you're interested in any of my non-Harry work, I have recently posted part 2 of my story Watering Plants For Those Who Can't Be Bothered on my other profile @eohlcdraw :')

P.s. I am currently on holiday with limited internet connection, so I will update the chapter with the usual song lyrics and video link when I'm home.