•eight•

She was stretched on the couch, bored out of her mind. She wish she could get out the apartments and do stuff so badly. Sadly, the way her bank account is set up isn't supporting her wants.

She hears Zion's cackle from behind his door. Being the slightly nosy person she is she turns down the volume of the tv which she was barely watching, and stays completely still. Amari heard it once more before he spoke.

"Hell yea. For sure." There was pause, assumingely listening to the person on the other line. "Come over tonight, definitely. Alright, bye." His voice got softer after the last few words.

He opened the bedroom door, walking out with a clap and a pep in his step. He looked over at the girl laying on the couch, cheesing. "I'm happy now," He says before walking around to take a seat with the girl, causing her to sit up and glare at him.

"Well you can keep that energy. I'm either going to try to go out or go next door to B's," She pointed her thumb behind her, over her shoulder.  "Because I can't handle this."

He was a bit offended. Z's facial expression softened as she actually looked pissed for some reason. He stared at her profile as she gazed straight forward at the tv. His dreads, swung back as he turned forward again.

"It's too late to go Brandon's right now." He comments. She sucks her teeth before responding.

"Oh yeah? Then it's too late for whoever the hell is coming over," Amari finally turns to look at him, her eyes giving him a challenge. "If you can have bring any girl over, I can go anywhere and do anything."

"I mean that's fair." He admitted, twisting his mouth to the side. He could only make eye contact for a moment before looking down. He didn't like the idea of that; her being anywhere she wanted to be with people other than him. Even if he was doing whatever with some random chick.

She stood before turning to him. She had a wonderful idea. "You're right. It is. I'm going to call Nick or Austin. Whoever picks up," Amari searches for her phone on the couch.

Zion's eyes widen in realization. He then scrambled as well, hoping to find her phone before she does. She calmly stuck her hand behind the couch to finally find it, waving it her opening up to pick a person to call.

"That's not fair." Zion was in denial.

"Hm. How? Tell me because I'm confused." Her hand rested on her hip, while her phone was still gripped tightly in the other. "If you can go fuck whoever you want, don't you think I can do the same?"

This time, he stood, towering over him. "You better not be thinking of doing what I think. Cause that's fucked up. You don't see me having— wait, never mind," He backed down.

"Exactly. So go ahead, but just know, we'll be even tomorrow morning if that's what you want to do." She paused, letting that sink into his head. She began to walk away, unlocking her phone again.

Amari has no remorse for the words that kept coming out of her mouth. That's just how she felt, and was she was bound to do if this was going to be an on going thing with the both of them. 

"Wait," He spoke, before she could do anything and call anyone yet. "You can go next door, just don't sleep over. I can call you after we're done and she leaves," He pleads. "I can make sure she leaves after we're done."

She shakes her head, not believing why she was hearing. She felt as if it wasn't even worth it. Nonetheless, she agreed. "Okay, sure."

.

.

.

Later that evening, around 10,  Amari headed over to Brandon's apartment. She was a bit more confident about relaxing since he knew and she didn't have to listen so hard to hear whether he was done showering or not. Telling him bye felt unnecessary, since she was only going a door down. She threw on a pair of sweats over some shorts, keeping her pink tank top on.

She knocked on the door softly before hearing soft footsteps coming towards the door. She hated standing outside of the apartments, especially at night. It's always given her an uneasy feeling, no matter how safe the complex.

The door was only cracked, before getting fully swung open by Brandon. He smiled. "Hey Mari, everything alright?"

"Yea," She says, nodding. "I just need some place to be for a while. I cannot stand listening to people have sex. Only if it's me with someone else," She chuckled awkwardly.

He laughed along with her before responding. "Come on in. It's just me though, so I hope that's alright with you."

"That's fine." She smiled as he let her in.

.

.

.

Zion sat on his bed, not even really paying attention to what was playing on the screen in front of him. He was staring at his phone, debating on whether he should tell the girl to make a U-turn back home or get it over with. He wasn't even in the mood anymore. All he could think about his how upset he made his roommate.

He usually tries to take her into consideration, but he assumed she was okay with it and that it actually didn't bother her that much, but the fact that it did make him want to stop all together. Especially when she threatened to sleep with his friends, it made his heart sink. He barely wanted his friends to be hers just because his attraction to her is growing.

In reality, he wanted Amari all for himself. Of course, he wouldn't let her know that.

He dialed up the girl quickly, telling her some bullshit to maker her not come. She was understanding, but at this point he couldn't care whether she cussed him out or not anyway. The next person he called was Amari. As fast as he could, he pressed her contact.

.

.

.

"That's what I'm saying!" She sighed heavily, sitting beside Brandon on his couch with her legs crossed. Her head rested on his shoulder casually. "I don't understand him."

He nods. "Me neither. He doesn't like me, for whatever reason." He rolled his eyes, popping another tortilla chip into his mouth, crunching loudly.

"He told me," She responded. "Not exactly why, though." Amari raised her head off his shoulder for him to further get into the topic, but it never happened. All he did was look at her and shrug.

As if on queue, her phone began to go off. She pulls it out the pants of her sweats to see its Zion. She furrows her eyebrows before answering the phone.

"Hello?"

"You can come back now." His tone was lazy. She raised her eyebrows, with her mouth slightly parted, looking at Brandon, who looked as confused as her.

She puts her ear closer to the phone. "Already, Z?"

"Seriously, come on." He then hung up, which took her by surprise. She pushed her cellphone down into her pocket before slapping her hands on her thighs.

"Well, I guess I'll see you around." She gets up, walking over to the door.

"Oh. No hug?" He asks. When she turns around his arms are open, waiting for her to come back. A bit confused, since they weren't that close to hug, nor did they talk normally enough to just hug out of the blue. She did hug him, not asking any questions. She's known him for almost three months, it shouldn't be weird.

Amari pulled away, smiling tiredly. "Night Brandon," She strolled towards the door, opening it as he followed behind her.

"Good night," He says back. She turned and waved at him before walking back over to her apartment.

.

.