Luke Meets a Few Old Friends

"A what?" Luke asked.

"A speakeasy. An illegal bar, per se. A place where people come to drink alcohol, because they can't get it anywhere else." Calum explained.

"Oh," Luke thought for a minute. "So that's what 'prohibition' means. Isn't that kind of risky?"

Calum chuckled. "Well, yeah, it is illegal, but that's why we have your tea shop as a front -no one would suspect an illegal bar resided under a quaint little shop like that!"

"But-" Luke took a deep breath and sat down at one of the dusty tables in the front of the store. "I don't understand? I thought you worked in...shipping, or something?"

"Yeah, shipping bootlegged alcohol into the city from Canada for rich people to enjoy. One of our bars was shut down recently by that asshole," Calum swore under his breath and said a name Luke didn't catch, "so we need a new place to set up shop."

"I don't want to run a bar, though. You know I've always wanted a little tea shop that serves cakes and such, just like the one my mum used to run before she passed away."

"No, the bar would be my thing. You could stay up here and have your tea and cakes, and I would be downstairs managing the bar." Calum corrected, but Luke still didn't like the idea. "Think about it,okay? I'm sure you're tired after your trip, and a good night's sleep will put some sense into your head. Let me show you up to your apartment."

"Thanks," Luke said and grabbed his suitcase before following Calum to the back room of the store. They climbed a narrow staircase up to the small apartment above the shop. Setting down his suitcase, Luke smiled and looked around the few rooms. "This is perfect, thank you."

"No problem; you should have everything you need here. I'll be over in the morning to see if you've changed your mind." Calum nodded before he left.

Luke sat on the bed, and Petunia hopped up next to him. Looking around at their new abode, he smiled and sighed. "We're home, Pets."

* * *

Calum left the tea shop and headed back to the docks where he was meant to meet a shipment for the new bar, but unfortunately the boat he was waiting for turned up empty.

"Mikey, what happened?" Calum raised his arms in confusion as his friend left the boat shaking his head.

"They were on to us," Michael shrugged. "It was that bastard -"

"Shh.." Calum held up his hand to silence his partner in crime. "You never know when they're listening. I know exactly who you're talking about. Walk with me."

The pair set off away from the docks back toward the location of Luke's tea shop. "We're going to need a new supply sooner rather than later -probably within a week- so I think we're going to have to do it the old fashioned way."

"Old fashioned? Meaning..." Mikey's eyes lit up when Calum's implications hit him. "I'll get the still fired up!"

"Do you have any other sources we could use in the meantime? Since it'll take while before the old still can produce quality alcohol again."

Michael thought for a minute. "I might know a few people. I could probably get some white lightning from the Appalachians here by then, but do you really want to serve moonshine at a speakeasy?"

Calum shrugged. "It's alcohol, and that's what they want, isn't it?"

"What?" Michael laughed. "You should know better than I, that they want real alcohol, not hillbilly moonshine."

Calum raised his eyebrows and smiled as if to say 'exactly'. "And?"

"Okay, if that's what they want," Mikey shook his head.