VI - Anadrin

"You're leaving to go on an expedition to the southern villages, for two whole months? And you're leaving tomorrow? When were you planning on telling me all this!" Anadrin's mother was not happy with the news. Her jet black beak was laced with scratches and marks, and her feathers had become more straggly and untidy in her old age. Yet her sharp voice had remained intact, as Anadrin often discovered. 

"I'm sorry mother. I was told just ten minutes ago myself. It's urgent apparently, the orders came from the king directly. I would have said something if I knew." Anadrin replied, pleadingly. 

"Hah! As if I believe that. Bet you've known for weeks, haven't you? Bet you just wished to hide this all from your own mother, the mother who has raised you on her own for the past ten years! Such insolence. I must've gone wrong somewhere to raise a bird like you." 

"Mother..." Anadrin began, before trailing off with a sigh. It was often this way with his mother. For the past few years, venom came from her beak more often than kindness. He didn't quite know why, but assumed it was a mixture of loneliness, and longing for a different life she was now too old to reach for. She had made choices in her past which had led her to where she was now. Choices that forced her and Anadrin far away from their homeland in the Farwing islands, where most of the avian's lived. She had made them to protect Anadrin, but Anadrin's father had not seen it the same way. As cruel as she could be, she was a fierce bird and a true fighter. Anadrin missed his true home, yet had it not been for his mother, he'd be in a far far worse place than this city. 

Anadrin had tried to help her find some happiness and joy. Yet she took to no hobbies, she had more of a knack for making enemies than friends, and her profession as a tailor no longer interested her. 

"Don't you look at me with those pitying eyes of yours!" She snapped. "I don't need your pity. If you wish to leave so badly, then go." Anadrin was sad to see his mother act this way. He felt sympathy for her. He was just as alone in this city as she was. His work and training in the kings army kept him busy, and he had some people there he got along well with. Since he stopped being able to have a reasonable conversation with his mother however, there was no one he could really talk to. Anadrin decided it was best to leave his mother alone for a little while, so began to leave towards the door of there little humble home. 

"Oh, and Anadrin?" His mother said, as he had a talon on the door handle. "Your father would be dissapointed in you as well. If you find the south a nicer place, you may as well just stay there. Leave me, as he did." Anadrin clutched the handle tightly, and left. 

The blackbird took one last lonesome walk through the streets of Barklen city before he was to leave the next day. The sun had hidden behind the sprawling mass of cobblestone, houses, shops, markets, outposts, and gardens; leaving a dusky warm sky from the fading light and the flickering oil lanterns hung from posts and walls and shop windows to illuminate Anadrin's way. The streets were much quieter at this time of evening, yet the city was never still. An old brown basset hound pushed his laden cart back home after a day of peddling his goods; a young blue beaked Gryphon walked in the embrace of a red and charcoal grey wolf, as they traipsed dreamily through the warm and growing night. A fire roared in the hearth of a nearby shop, and Anadrin could hear hearty laughter from within, along with the sweet smell of cooked meats and spices. It was easy to forget the beauty of such a place, the blackbird thought wistfully as he walked aimlessly. He had lived here for most of his life now, ever since he and his mother had left the islands of the Avians, many many miles to the east and some ten years ago. It was a turbulent time for Anadrin, yet he slowly came to enjoy the city and its diversity. All manor of species lived here, including more than a few birds which always made Anadrin feel more welcome. There were some birds in the city he would not be so happy to meet, however. He didn't want the past finding it's way to him again.

It was late when the blackbird finally returned home. His mother was not in her usual chair by the window, so he assumed she must've gone to bed. Anadrin went to his own room and lay down to sleep, yet thoughts of his expedition tomorrow filled his head. He had never been so far away on army business, and the orders coming directly from the king was very unusual. Before he knew it the sun was beginning to rise once again, and it was time to go to the mission briefing. He waited outside his mothers door before leaving, indecisive about whether to wake her and say a final farewell. They'd never been apart for so long before. Anadrin worried what his mother would do without him. She'd be truly alone then, knowing barely anyone in the whole city. She'd never admit it, but she relied a lot on Anadrin these days for things such as food, and silver to pay the rent. And company. For although she was often mean and cruel and spiteful, Anadrin knew she still cared for him, in her own way. 

In the end he let her sleep. His nerves were slightly too on edge to deal with her just now, and he had to focus. 

The mission briefing was short, and lacked the details Anadrin was hopeful to find this morning. The officer in charge, and who would be leading the expedition, was a high ranking female wolf by the name of Leiran. She had shortly trimmed white fur on her belly, and dark navy blue fur over the rest of her body apart from below her elbow, where the fur on her arms faded to a dark brown. She seemed like a good leader to Anadrin - a quick decision maker, a strong character, hopefully someone you could rely on to guide the mission. She said much the same as Anadrin heard from his officer the previous day: unknown assailants had raided at least the southern town of Denrean, and have likely attacked some of the surrounding villages as well. The expedition task was too investigate, and reassure the locals. 

Whilst the information on the mission was scarce, Anadrin did get the chance to see who he'd be going with. Anadrin included, there were fifty gathered, all packed and ready to leave. He saw all kinds, but few that he recognised. He saw a golden coloured rabbit paying close attention to Leiran, a long and sinuous green snake who stood with his arms crossed, a snow leopard with distinct black spots who tapped her paws on the ground passively, a hazel coloured horse with strong looking hoofs and a disinterested look. Lastly, his gaze fell upon a Kestrel who stood not far away from himself. A pretty mixture of brown and red feathers covered her head and perky ears. Her beak was a bright yellow, and appeared to be in immaculate condition. The rest of her body and her folded wings were of brown feathers with evenly spaced black spots. Anadrin had seen a few other birds in the army, one of which he was friends with. He had never seen this Kestrel before, and he could say that confidently as he was sure he'd remember her. 

He had little time to admire the Kestrel, as soon Leiran called for them to be on there way. After some final preparations of checking inventory and weapons, they were given some of the fastest horses the city had ready for them, and were soon galloping down the streets of Barklen. It was a powerful feeling, to march down the streets of the city, fifty strong, laden with weapons and provisions and astride strong horses. The folk parted way for them, and stared up at him and his fellow arms-men in wonder. Soon they were leaving the bustle of the city behind them, and found themselves passing under the great stone gates of the city, and out into the great forests of Univine.