Chapter 8 - Feyre/Rhysand

Feyre

The darkness dispersed and I immediately took a step away from Jurian, turning on him like a predator. We had landed in a dark cabin of sorts, evidently used to house soldier, but the darkness made the smirk on Jurian's face ever so slightly more sinister. 
"What the fuck." It was more of a statement than a question, but evidently he didn't understand that.
"Don't worry, I won't tell." I was completely taken aback, I couldn't understand how on earth he had found out. 
"What makes you think I'm a spy, if anything you're putting yourself in a rather compromising position right now." The smirk stayed firmly planted on his face, taunting me. 
"Maybe we're both spies. Spying on each other, quite ironic isn't it." I narrowed my eyes, suddenly very confused. How could I not have known that he was a spy? Or was he just bluffing, trying to drag me down. "Who are you really working for." I smirked back at him then, playing by his rules.
"My Court. Who are you working for?" My answer was vague, just like all of his responses were. Now it was his turn, whether he would play the right cards I didn't know, because his expression didn't change. I could hear the soldiers milling around outside, expecting our arrival. I wondered if anyone would enter soon, because it was evident that they could hear both myself and Jurian. Would they dare interrupt their Commander and the King's pet?
"A Court who has great interest in finding out whether you are really a threat to them." He responded. I nearly laughed at his response, so evasive yet somehow giving away everything at the same time.
"You reference Autumn then. The Court that truly believes I could pose a threat to them, but doesn't want to put their pride in jeopardy." The smirk fell from Jurian's face immediately as I stripped away his lies to reveal the truth. I walked closer to him, now mere centimetres from his face, and leant in to whisper something in his ear that those outside couldn't here. "It's a good thing you told the right person." And as I turned away from him and walked towards the thin strips of light spilling through the sides of the door I didn't miss the look of satisfaction on his face. I don't think he realised I wasn't quite his ally, not yet, because he had lied to me for a little too long for comfort. 

I stepped out into the light, opening the door on its creaking hinges, and was momentarily blinded. When I could finally see clearly I noticed that all of the soldiers had paused in their training to watch myself and Jurian emerge from the darkness of the cabin. 
"Who's in charge here." My statement was a command, not a question, and I felt myself mimicking the way I had acted in the Illyrian camp, the confidence I had had then. The confidence I now lacked and attempted to fake. It was draining me, little by little, and turning me to the shadows of death that now swirled, not only in my eyes, but I my mind as well. I knew that they had started leaking around it and I knew they refused to stay trapped, but I couldn't give them to Rhys, he had too much to deal with. This was my weakness, my problem. This was my damnation. 

Rhysand

I could feel it now outside her shields, leaking from seemingly nowhere. I could feel the darkness that was roiling behind her shields mere days ago, now taken form through that dark wall of fire. The morning was drawing on, coming closer to midday now, yet somehow I still hadn't left my room. No one had come to get me, and I took that as a sign that I wasn't needed. It was strange, sitting alone and undisturbed. I should be planning a war, I should be doing something, but instead I sat here numb and unfeeling, listening to the prowling shadows seeping through my mate's shields. 

I stood from the couch, tucked in one corner of my room, and walked out onto the balcony and watched Velaris. The people below were oblivious to the turmoil of the world, and for that I was grateful, chaos here would be the day the world was dying. The sun gleamed off the Rainbow, running straight through the middle of the city dancing with glistening light. I could hear the clanging of metal on metal coming from the training rings not far away. Cassian was visiting Illyrian camps, and Azriel was probably monitoring the other courts, which made me wonder who could possibly be in the sparring ring. I felt my wings form behind me as I let myself fall of the balcony, waiting for the wind to fill my wings and lift me higher. All the while, there was one things running through my mind, a continuous and constant reminder. Tomorrow.