22 - The Avox Nesting Grounds

Start from the beginning

"They're not monsters. They are loyal subjects to the crown—as are you and your tribe—and should be treated as my guests."

Mr. Peanut did not blink. He stood staring at the Princess with his beady eyes. Finally, his feathers fell back into place. "As you wish, Princess." He nodded to the guards who immediately lowered their weapons but did not break the circle.

Mr. Peanut put his wing around Zelda and led her away from the others. "We'll inform your brother of your safe arrival. He will be overjoyed to hear it. Now if you come with me I'll show you to your quarters."

Zelda glanced back at the rest of her traveling companions who were still in the circle of feathers and beaks. The guards were poking and prodding at the web cocoon on Abyss's back.

"What about the rest of my party?"

"They'll be well taken care of," Mr. Peanut assured her. "We have guest quarters where they'll be housed. You, however, will be staying in our luxury villa. After so many days on the King's Highway I'm sure you're eager for some pampering."

Zelda was eager to reach the Tree of Wisdom, but some pampering sounded too good to pass up. Nothing wrong with reaching the Tree well-rested and well-fed.

The villa was part of the Avox Predateri Roost, the capital building and home to the Predateri, Mr. Crackers, the leader of the tribe of birdmen. The Predateri rarely left the nesting grounds due to his advanced age so few had the privilege of meeting him in person. Most of his decisions were carried out by his royal diplomat, Mr. Peanut. The Predateri Roost was the only building not covered in bird shit in the entire village. It was a beautiful guest house worthy of a member of the royal family.

As soon as she entered the villa, an army of servants set upon her. They cleaned her, washed her, clothed her, fed her exotic fruits, and pampered her in every way. She was dressed in a big, poofy dress that she normally would have hated wearing, but it had been so long since she had been all dolled up she welcomed it. She finally felt like royalty again.

Eventually she dismissed the servants (it felt good to give someone an order that was actually followed) and enjoyed the quiet of solitude in a chamber with a bed. She spent the rest of the evening braiding her hair, which only reminded her of Sheena's absence. She fell asleep that night in an Arachnite silk nightgown, in a bed full of pillows, and she slept worse than she had on any night of the quest.

***

The next morning, Zelda found breakfast waiting in her chamber. There was fruit, fish, nuts, and fresh worms. Zelda chowed down everything—everything except the worms. Shortly after she finished, Mr. Peanut showed up with two guards. Mr. Peanut bowed and seemed pleased that the Princess had eaten all the breakfast.

"I hope you've found your accommodations to be to your liking," he said. "It's been some time since we had the pleasure of hosting a member of the royal family."

"It's more than adequate, thank you." She hesitated, trying to remember her royal etiquette. She didn't want to seem ungrateful, but a voice in the back of her mind would not stay silent. "But I'd like very much if the other members of my Fellowship could be accommodated in the villa as well tonight. We've spent so much time together I'm afraid I feel uneasy about spending another night without them nearby."

The guards shared a look with Mr. Peanut, who smiled and nodded on cue.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible, your highness. The villa is reserved for dignitaries such as yourself. Commoners—and certainly not Arachnites—are not permitted to stay in the Predateri capital.