CHAPTER FIVE

SCARLETT WAS BACK in her seat when the second act opened. The date now projected onto the back of the set was '12th April 1812'.

The actors playing Simeon Perkins and Elizabeth sat very still, waiting until the date disappeared. The actor playing Perkins had been made to lose weight by shedding a heavy undershirt, since act one, and he looked even paler and sicklier. Elizabeth was rubbing his leg, once again using the rum.

Perkins complained, "One of my front teeth has been loose for some time, I took it out this morning." He opened his mouth for her to see.

Elizabeth got up, took a look and poked at another tooth. It was obviously blackened, even to the audience. "It looks like you've got another making its way to the same end. If it's giving you pain I can give you a shot in your coffee?" she said, offering him some rum.

"Tempting as it is, I'll pass."

She moved back to rub his leg. "You know Fredrick Jones has raised his house at Mersey Point."

"One would hope that it's another sign of spring. I suppose we could open up the summer kitchen since the weather's turned," said Perkins.

"Might be a bit soon. Juba said a storm is moving is. Don't know if you heard, but word on the dock is that several articles have washed up; butter, soap and candles at different places from here to Mahone Bay. Some ship must have broken up on the coast," she told him. "I wouldn't have minded getting my hands on some of that soap."

"Likely an American vessel or we'd have heard," Perkins grumbled.

"Speaking of things washing ashore, they found the body of Abby Cleaves. Remember it was thought that she drowned in the river last January. Seems they were right. It worked out to be true for she was taken out near the same place as she probably fell in. She was found floating with all her clothes on and wasn't much disfigured."

"Death and dying," Perkins said, coughing and rubbing his rheumy eyes.

"Maybe those bastard births are the good Lord's way of balancing out the dying population," she said and laughter came from the audience.

"How many more will die if we're facing a war? I dearly wish there was a way to re-establish the Kings Orange Rangers. I knew it was a mistake to disband them after the War. Some fool must have had the notion that it was the war to end all wars."

At that moment a theatre attendant entered with two late-comers. Her flashlight shone down the aisle and sounds could he heard as the audience turned in their seats to see who would dare to enter during the play.

When all was quiet Elizabeth continued, "Two of the Horton children drowned today in the mill pond. They were playing on a log with one end resting on the shore. Ella heard that the boy fell into the water first, and the girl walked on the log to save him and fell in too. The children are to be buried tomorrow, both in one coffin."

"More burying," Perkins said. The actor's voice, perhaps a little over the top, filled with grief. "Since you hear so much, have you heard anything about any Americans setting ashore? I feel it in my bones that they're up to something."

Elizabeth added quickly. "It's probably your rheumatics again."

Two children chased each other across the stage, from the counting room and out through the sitting room. Perkins jumped as they slammed the door.

He waved her comment away and said, "They got us all nervous."

"If it'll make you feel better I'll listen up for any news."