She waved a hand, and her voice sounded a little thick when she said, "I told you, I don't do the Mother anymore. Certainly not the Crone."

"Your third aspect is a Wise Woman, Cerridwen. You were never a Crone."

"Ahh, but I was. You never saw me in the dark winters of my grief," she turned her head from him.

Hell, was she crying too? Could he not catch a break? He appealed to the sky and then shook his head. Only Cerridwen could make a god seek a higher power for help.

No help came. He was on his own when it came to Cerridwen, as he always had been.

What would a  man say? A brave man? An honest man?

"No, I left you alone in your grief, and I never understood what that felt like for you, until you left me. Since then, believe me, I have grieved for you, for us. I can never make up for what I put you through. But I've done all I know to do— give you what you wanted—your freedom."

Hearne was bewildered when Carrie started sobbing in earnest. Hell, it was what she wanted, wasn't it?

He reached for her, not knowing what else to do, but she stepped away, waving him off.

"This is ridiculous," she chastised herself. "We both drank too much last night. This is just residual alcohol sadness or something. I am happy for you Cernunnos, but I want no part of a new Celtic Pantheon. I won't be a Juno."

"I would never treat you with disrespect," Cernunnos countered, but Carrie flapped a hand.

"I know. I just meant, her bitterness is understandable. She sits upon a throne of glass, does she not? Her King's affection always elsewhere, her rule...tentative, calculating, never sincere, because she is never secure. I won't do that, Cernunnos. Make Dru your Goddess, and should your Pantheon rise again, make her your Queen. Let me be. You won. I concede."

They were at the lake then. Carrie picked her way along the shore, hugging herself as she watched the sunset. Hearne followed more slowly, picking up the discarded items of clothing. When he reached her side, he looked out to the sunset, abiding with her.

A long time later, in the dark, he said, low but resolved, "I haven't won yet. The union with Dru is not consummated. Dru knows nothing yet, of who I am, of what I intend for her. We are drawing close, but there are no deeds yet done that could not be undone.  This is the last time I will ask you to reconsider, Cerridwen. The lass could be happy with the lad. And I could be...more than happy with you, my moonlight Goddess...if you still love me."

She bowed her head, and he could barely hear her as she said, "Our bond is broken."

He clasped her hand in his. "Hands can be fastened again."

"I think...not these hands." She put both of her small hands around his large one and brought it to her lips, reverently kissing his knuckles. "But I am so happy to see your returning glory, my Lord. Ha! Imagine that," she said softly, as if she were surprised at her own tenderness, or perhaps surprised at her honesty.

In the rising moonlight, she smiled a brilliant smile at him, the same smile that had nearly stopped a god's heart twelve thousand years ago. 

****************************************************

Hearne wiped down the counter as he surveyed Dru clearing the dishes. He considered her lovely round bottom, watched it spread as she folded her frame to put items in the dishwasher, and he was surprised to find he felt not much lust at all. He was sure the lust would flare again soon, now that she wasn't drunk and now that she had finally washed the scent of Faraday from her body, but right now he only felt...