Chapter 31 - Hi, I'm Hunter Emerson. It's nice to meet you.

Start from the beginning

“So we still on for that dinner?” He smiled.

“Sure let’s go.”  

We walked along chatting. He pointed out the school and some cool little shops. “Here is the restaurant.” Il ristorante dell'amore was written in script on the outside of the building. Hunter grabbed the door opening it for me. I stepped in and looked around. It was so cute and cozy. It was lit softly with candles on every table. There were a few people in there. The music played softly in the background. The walls had exposed brick. I loved it. The hostess smiled grabbing two menus, and showed us to our seats. We were seated at a small table for two, set in the corner. She handed us our menu’s and left us to decide. I looked over the menu quietly. I decided I would like the Chicken Fettucini Alfredo with Broccoli.

The waitress came over and smiled, “Hello my name is Antoinette. I’ll be your waitress. What can I start you off with, for drinks?”

I looked at the her, “Hunter.”

The waitress and Hunter both looked at me smirking.

“No. I mean,” I covered my face embarrassed.

“Sorry I’m not a drink.” he smirked. “How about two Cokes?” he asked smiling at me.

I nodded in response, too embarrassed to speak.

“Alright I will be right back with your drinks.” Antoinette said and turned to get our drinks.

“So are you recovered now?” Hunter asked smiling.

“Yeah. I was trying to be polite and let you order first.”

He laughed, “Ladies always go first.”

I smiled back. I closed the menu after giving it one final look over.

Antoinette was back with our drinks. “Are we ready to order?”

I smiled, “I will have the Chicken Fettucini Alfredo with Broccoli.”

She smiled and wrote it down, taking my menu. “And you sir?” She smiled asking Hunter.

“I think I will have the same thing she is having.” He smiled at me, then the waitress and handed his menu back.

“Alright thank you.” She left us to be alone. 

“So, do I get to know more about you?” He smiled again at me. I smirked half pouting. That smile was like the sun. I was like the butter, sitting in the sun. I just melted under it. 

“Like?”

He pretended to think, “Family. Any kids. Pets? You never know what secrets you may have.”

I laughed and thought, Secrets? No. Well I do turn into a giant wolf. Vampires are real. I just smiled once again, “I have a younger brother. Seth. He’s almost 14. His birthday is in about two months. My mom is called Sue. She’s a nurse at the Forks hospital.”

He nodded acknowledging me. “So what about Dad? If you don’t mind me asking.”

 I felt the lump in my throat return. “He died. Actually six months ago. He had a heart attack.” I had to cover my mouth, my eyes quickly wandered the room. The tears fell before I could stop them.

“Leah I’m so sorry.” Hunter reached across the table and wiped the tears off my cheeks.

“Hunter I’m so sorry. I feel so stupid. Here I am crying in front of you. We just met.”

He took my hand in his, “Leah, it’s not stupid. He was your dad. He meant a lot to you. You were super close. I can tell.” He looked at me with such love and concern in his eyes. I felt safe.