Chapter 10 - The Arrangements

I didn’t sleep well that night. I tossed and turned. I woke up early and rolled out of bed and went to the kitchen. I looked at my dad’s chair and my heart sunk at that moment. There was a knot growing in my stomach. It didn’t seem real. I started to feel nauseated. I just sat there quietly and put my head on the table and closed my eyes. A groggy eyed Seth stumbled into the kitchen.

“Hey Leah. How are you doing?” He rubbed his eyes.

I shrugged. “I’m ok.”

Seth smiled a little trying to make me feel better. “Can I make you something to eat?” Seth asked looking in the fridge.

“I’m not hungry. Thanks anyways.” I said.

Seth grabbed some waffles from the freezer and popped them in the toaster. He poured a cup of coffee and added some cream.

“Here at least have some coffee.” He set it down on the table in front of me. “Drink up.”

I smiled. “Thanks.” I took a sip from the cup. Yesterday flashed back into my head. I just saw my dad drinking his coffee.

“Your thinking about him.” Seth looked at me.

I nodded just a little. His waffles popped up and he grabbed the butter and syrup and put it on. He took his plate and sat down at the table.

There was a knock on the front door.

“I’ll get it.” My mom’s voice had come out of nowhere.

“Sue, how are you?” Charlie’s voice came from the front door.

“I’m ok. Please come in.”

Charlie stepped in and shut the door behind him. They came into the kitchen. “Good morning.” My mom smiled and poured two cups of coffee.

She handed one to Charlie and kept one for herself.

“Thank you Sue.” Charlie smiled.

He and my mom sat down at the table with us. My mom sat in my dad’s seat. Seth finished eating and put his dish in the sink.

“I’m going to go take a shower.” He headed into the bathroom.

“So today we’re heading down to the funeral home and church. We need to make arrangements for tomorrow.” My mom said.

“That’s fine. So is it just you and I?” Charlie asked.

My mom looked at me. “Leah are you coming with us?”

I looked up from my coffee. “Yeah if it’s ok with you.” I smiled at her.

She smiled back. “That’s fine.”

I heard the shower shut off and Seth went into his room. I got up form the table and headed for the bathroom to take a quick shower. Before I got in I knocked on Seth’s door. “Hey Seth, are you coming with us?” I waited.

“No I’m going to stay here.”

I was in and out of the shower and dressed within seconds or so it felt. I just put my hair up in a ponytail. I popped back into the kitchen. “I’m ready.”

Charlie smiled.

“Ok let’s go.” My mom said putting the coffee cups in the sink.

I headed outside and I stopped dead in my tracks. I was at the spot. I could hear the thud and it all started replaying in my head. I could hear my voice in my head haunting me. “You didn’t save him. Why didn’t you try?” I stood there frozen in place.