Chapter 26 - Maybe, just maybe. For once, I'm right.

I woke up and it was still quiet. My sleep was peaceful. Well as peaceful as it would be with leeches so close. I came around and stretched and had hung out relaxing a little bit. Then Seth was there.

Ready to take over? Seth asked.

Yeah. Go get some sleep. I took off running. I was on the western perimeter when Jacob rejoined the pack mind. Morning, Jacob, I greeted him.

He quickly replied, Good you’re up. How long’s Seth been out? 

I didn’t have to answer because Seth did.

Then Jacob’s thoughts turned to me. Let’s make a deep run. Then Jacob gave orders for Seth to do a, perimeter run. He agreed and was off.

Off on another vampire errand. I grumbled. 

Jacob questioned me. You got a problem with that?

My sarcastic tone already tipped him off. Of course not. I just love to coddle those darling leeches.

He ignored me and proceeded on. Good. Let’s see how fast we can run.

I smiled. This actually made me happy. Speed was my advantage. Okay. Im definitely up for that.

I tried to avoid getting close the house. I left that path for Jacob and Seth. I raced to meet up with Jacob.

Nose to the ground, Leah. This isn’t a race, it’s a reconnaissance mission.

I rolled my eyes continuing to run. I can do both and still kick your butt.

 I know. Jacob quietly agreed and I laughed. 

We ran along together quietly. There was nothing. Jacob was just focused. I stayed on his right side, keeping pace. Then I finally broke the silence.

We’re getting pretty far out here. I thought. 

Yeah. If Sam was hunting strays, we should have crossed his trail by now. 

He was right and I knew it. 

Make’s more sense right now for him to bunker down in La Push. He know’s we're giving the bloodsuckers three extra sets of eyes and legs. He’s not going to be able to surprise them.I thought.

This is just a precaution, really. Jacob thought.

Wouldn’t want our precious parasites taking unnecessary chances. I thought with a sarcastic tone. 

Nope. Jacob thought back.

You’ve changed so much, Jacob. Talk about one-eighties. I couldn’t believe it. Such a softy for the vampire’s now.

You’re not exactly the same Leah I’ve always known and loved either. Jacob’s thoughts pure. 

True. Am I less annoying than Paul now? I asked. 

Amazingly . . . yes, Jacob said. 

Ah, sweet success. I smiled

Congrats. Jacob said then everything went quiet. 

We ran quietly for some time. Nothing was going on. Our thoughts remained quiet. It was nice to get away from the regular perimeter run. There was no rush to our day. I was trying to fight the hunger that ached in my bones. Jacob thought we should hunt. So on our way home that was the plan.