Chapter One

Cardiff 2012_

"Hey! Anny!" Riley waved to his best friend, making her turn and look at him. She turned around, her short blonde hair bouncing around her face.

"Hey Riley," Anny returned simply, "How's it going at work?"

"Oh, you know how it is," he waved away, "Boring as Hell, but that's not what we want to talk about. How's it going with Torchwood? Did you find anything?"

"No," she shook her head, "You know, you'd think they'd be all over a case like this, but I guess the 'Goddess of Misfortune' isn't eventful enough for them."

"Are you even sure that she's real?" Riley inquired, "I mean... It might just be a story. That's probably why Torchwood doesn't care."

"No!" Anny exclaimed angrily, "I know for sure!"

"Alright, calm down," Riley placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Riley?" Anny looked up, sadly, "Don't lean on the railing."

"There isn't any railing here," he said confused, "We're in the middle of the park."

"I need to find them," Anny informed, "I have to warn them before it get's any worse."

"You said... Something about marking her prey with a phrase," Riley remembered something, "And it's the only thing she can say to that person. You said you saw her. What did she say to you?"

"It doesn't matter," Anny turned down, walking away. "I have to find them... I have to warn them." Before Riley could get another word in, she was gone.

Walking around the corner, Anny spotted a weevil peering at her from behind a dumpster. She watched it carefully, but kept walking. Best not to get involved with these creatures, it'd probably just summon her.

But then, Anny got an idea. She started sprinting. Just as she was about to reach the creature, however, someone grabbed her arm and held her back.

"Best not to get to close," the man flashed her a seductive smile, "Not the most friendly of creatures, these things." He watched her carefully, as if to see if she'd try and go after it anyway. He wore a big trench coat from straight out of world war two and held up what looked like a can of mace.

"Who are you?" she inquired.

"Torchwood," he replied.

"Not who you work for," she rephrased, "Who are YOU?"

"Captain Jack Harkness," he smirked, "Now, if you'll excuse me..." He let go of her arm and started towards the Weevil, "You might want to get out of here."

Anny stood, staring at him for a moment, before turning on her heel and running.