Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

"They're called the Mad Colored Houses of Burano." Sebastien said as we got out of the gondola.

Mad colored houses they were. All around us were buildings squished together like dominoes and each one was painted a different neon color.

"It's amazing, Sebastien, thank you." This just might have made up for his stunt on the clocktower earlier.

"I know a place around here that sells the best gelato."

"I should warn you I'm a bit of an ice cream addict."

"Well gelato is certainly not ice cream."

"I've never had it."

Sebastien gasped. "What have you been doing here in Italy?"

"Oh you know, hanging out in abandoned bars, the usual."

He laughed.

I smiled (on the inside of course).

We walked down the street to a corner shop.

"Mi scusi bello," Sebastien said as we walked inside.

A girl with dark hair and fair skin turned around from behind the counter and squealed. "Sebastien! È cosí bello vederti amare!" She hopped up from the counter and threw her arms around Sebastien and squealed again.

Ugh.

I hated her already.

"Raegan! This is Anette! She's an old friend of mine. I met her in Thailand. I think I told you about her?"

Wait. So this was the girl that I reminded him of? I did not squeal. I have never squealed.

"È un piacere conoscerti! It is so nice to meet you!" Anette said, taking my head.

I smiled tightly. "Ditto."

"Well what can I get you two?" She asked.

"This one's never had gelato, so get her your favorite." Sebastien said.

"Sí!" said Anette, scooping something pink into a cone. "Are you two going to the ball tonight?"

"Ball?" Sebastien asked, but I wasn't listening anymore. Anette had handed me my cone and I was literally in heaven right now. This was the most amazing thing I'd ever had.

"Yes! At the Gritti Palace. No?"

Sebastien raised his eyebrows. "The Gritti Palace? You got tickets for that?"

"Never you mind. I'm assuming you don't have costumes. We must go shopping!"

Anette hurried us out of the shop, although I was in a daze. This gelato was seriously heaven.

"So, Anette, what brings you to Italy? I thought you said that after Thailand you were finally heading back home to Norway?" Sebastien asked.

"I was planning on it, but while I was waiting for my flight I ran into my aunt. The one who's Italian? She offered me a place to stay and a job and well I've been here ever since. You must understand, being a fellow traveler and all."

"Of course."

"I'm fluent in Italian now too!"

"How many is that now? Four? Five?"

"Five. Norwegian, English, Spanish, Italian, and French."

"Impressive, but doesn't beat my nine."

"We can't all be as amazing as you, Sebastien." She said coyly.

They grinned at each other.

What a bunch of squares.

The three of us walked into a shop that looked as if it came right out of the 13th century.

Anette said something to the woman at the counter in Italian. God, I really needed to learn Italian.

Before I could even blink, Anette was shooing me into a dressing room with a pile of clothes I didn't know what to do with. I stared at them for a while but I eventually gave up. "Uh, I have no idea how to put this on."

Anette peaked her head in. "Oh, I'll help you, hun!" She started tugging at my corset. "So you like Sebastien, yes?"

I blinked. "He's alright."

She laughed. "Ah, I see how it is. Just a heads up, ah, how would you Americans put it? He's good in bed. Very good." She smiled, her eyes far away.

Ugh.

Although I hated to admit it, the dress looked quite stunning. It was purple and gold and went down to my ankles. My waist looked non existent. The material was heavy though.

I motioned to take it off, but Anette stopped me. "You must keep it on! It is what everyone wears during Carnival! You look too touristy without it."

Good to know I looked touristy.

Not.

We walked out of the dressing room where Sebastien was waiting in a black tux. Wow that made him look hot.

"Oh I almost forgot! Masks! The most important part!" Anette said, handing Sebastien and I two masquerade masks. I slipped mine on.

The woman at the counter turned to me. "Buying or renting?"

Anette answered for me. "Buying of course."

"Alright I'll just make that an even €200 each, only because I love you, Anette."

€200? I definitely couldn't spare that much.

I think Sebastien saw my panicked look because he said, "I'll pay for both."

"I can't let you do that." I said.

"It's my pleasure." Sebastien said giving me a look that made my stomach feel all fluttery.

The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur. We walked up and down the streets of Burano. I still couldn't quite believe that a place could be so colorful. We ate lunch (or was it dinner?) at this adorable little bistro.

I'm not ashamed to say that I ate a whole pizza. I was famished. I hadn't had anything all day and the plane food was shit. I decided to not let Anette's disgust at my appetite bother me.

At one point Anette disappeared. Unfortunately she was back quickly, in a dress that probably cost three times what mine did. I also decided to not let the fact that Sebastien stared at her boobs for a few seconds too long bother me.

Before I knew it we were hoping on another boat and making our way down the Grand Canal.