CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE.

Start from the beginning

"I'll be your wife, Michael. I know that things are risky, and there's a chance that you could be arrested but despite it all, I have faith that Tommy would be able to do something about that when and if the time comes around. I can't say that things will be great either, not for a while, because we both have things that we need to work through and that will put a strain on our relationship, but I believe in us." Hannah took a deep breath as she finished her speech and she closed her eyes, waiting for Michael's reply. Knowing her luck, he probably wasn't going to ask her to marry him.

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Hannah asked with confusion.

"We will marry tomorrow. I'm not waiting any longer."

+++

Hannah looked around as she sat on a chair in front of a mirror in Polly's bedroom. Ada was stood behind her, running her fingers through Hannah's hair as she tried to think of a style that was bridal and classy.

"I'm at work in eight hours," Hannah said, looking at Ada through the mirror and Polly who was sat on the bed, flipping through the morning newspaper and smoking a cigarette.

"You are getting married; can you not have the day off?" Ada asked before leaning over Hannah to get the hair brush.

"They don't actually know that I am getting married," Hannah admitted with a sheepish look.

Polly chuckled before shaking her head. "I can't imagine that going down well tomorrow morning. Poor nuns are probably going to have a heart attack at the thought of you being Mrs. Hannah Gray." Ada laughed along with Polly, encouraging Polly's own laughter. "What do you think they will do?"

Hannah shrugged. "They can't do much when there's a ring on my finger and it's been made official. I believe that the other midwives would be sweethearts about it, maybe even Sister Margaret but I dread to think how Sister Maria act, I will probably not tell her," Hannah joked.

Ada raised both eyebrows, causing Hannah to ask about her expression. "Well, what do you think she will say when there's children running about? The women has to find out eventually."

"Well, it's a good job that I don't plan on having kids any time soon and even if it does happen sooner than expected, both me and Michael will calmly explain to Sister Maria that we are both in love and that it is our choice what we do."

"Yes, well don't leave it too late because I would like to have grandchildren and you, and Michael are my - " Polly was interrupted by the sound of loud banging feet running up the stairs in a hurried fashion. Angrily, Polly threw her paper onto the bed sheets and started to mumble curse words underneath her breath. "Before you walk through this door," Polly said, placing her hand against the wooden door. "I want to know who it is because if it is Michael then you will not be entering and also, you are extremely impatient."

"It's John and you need to open this door." There was shakiness in his voice - fear or anxiety, Hannah wasn't quite sure.

Polly also suspected the terrible feeling and opened the door at lightning speed, checking over John to make sure that there were no injuries. "What's happened?"

"I'm really sorry to do this," John said, his eyes on Hannah. "But we all need to go to Tommy's right now."

Hannah snorted before waving her hand in the air and turning back round towards the mirror. "Tommy Shelby is not ruining my day so tell him to bugger off and leave us alone. Whatever he has to say can wait until after the ceremony or tomorrow morning."

Hannah saw John shake his head towards Polly, his eyes saying something that only Polly could understand.

"Come on, love," Polly said quietly as she walked over to Hannah. "We can go and see what Tommy wants and then we can get ready over at his house. I'm sure one of the maids there will be able to do something decent with your hair."

"That's rude," Ada grumbled under her breath.

Hannah smiled a little at Ada's comment before turning to look at John. "Is this going to ruin my wedding day and I want an honest answer from you, not some bullshit lie that Tommy has told you to give me."

"I genuinely don't know what this is about, Hannah, I really wish I did. I just got told that I needed to come and get you as soon as possible and that it was extremely urgent."

Hannah could feel her heart breaking already - why did something (or someone) always have to ruin her happiness? It was as if the universe was against Hannah and Michael. God was probably punishing the two of them for their sins - sex before marriage, lies and murder. Karma.

With miserable eyes, Hannah stood up and grabbed her coat, the warm material hiding her wedding dress which Polly had kindly gifted her seen as the wedding had been such short notice thanks to Michael's genius idea of getting married with only twenty-four hours to prepare.

"Well, we best go then."

+++

Michael looked just as frightened as Hannah as the pair sat next to each other, everyone whispering and trying to create theories about what Tommy's out of the blue meeting could be about. There was silence from Tommy, of course, as he stared at the stacks of money in front of him.

"This could be our break," Michael said, nodding towards the money. "A chance for us to escape and get away from here."

"I don't think your mum would allow it," Hannah joked before resting her head on Michaels shoulder. "We are okay, aren't we?"

"As far as I know."

"What's this, an early wedding gift for Hannah and Michael?" Arthur asked, one hand resting on Linda's enormous stomach, it wouldn't be long before she gave birth.

And then it started.

There was happiness as Tommy gave Arthur his blessing, a string of smiles but then came the list of offences, a speech, shouting and screaming, crying, a change of mood within seconds. Hannah looked around and saw the betrayal in everybody's eyes. The one person who they trusted had gone behind their back and now, they were facing the gallows.

Michael's grip got tighter on Hannah's hand as Tommy read out the offence for him murdering Father Hughes. His time as a free man had finally come to an end. Tommy had lied. He couldn't prevent this from happening.

"Hannah Anderson, perverting the court of justice."

authors note; hmmm, interesting

thank u so much for nearly 80k reads and sticking by this book even tho the updates have been diabolical but u know what, at least i got this chapter out.
please vote and comment, let me know what u think of this chapter and the story as a whole cos it rlly does encourage me to write more!! 
thank u again, xo