Im sorry

Cheryl's pov

cheryl jots down her customers order one by one at the local café she works at.
Grande caramel latte, skim milk, and a grande hot chocolate, no marshmallows, extra whipped cream for the girls on their weekend shopping date. Tall creme coco de menthe for the kid with the sweet tooth. Masai double shot cappuccino for the struggling student hunched over his laptop in the corner, no doubt in finals week and probably hasn't slept in 30 hours.

She glances out the window and catches a glimpse of somebody walking past, wearing a leather jacket. Her mind wanders to the beautiful student... Is she even really a student? The short, dark and beautiful woman with the lopsided grin. Toni with the serious exterior and soft interior. toni with the- "--I'm so sorry ma'am, would you mind repeating that order again for me?"

She works well into the evening, the constant trickle of customers ebbs and steadies before her boss tells her to head home before it gets too late, thanking her for staying back the extra hours to help.

Temperatures are beginning to decline as does the amount of daylight provided as the summer graduates to fall. She tugs on her coat and makes her way back to her apartment, stopping by the local late-night grocery store for a few things.

She carries a scant basket through the aisles, just a few items inside, shopping for one as usual.

She returns home to her tiny apartment by 6pm. She cooks dinner for one. She eats alone and then she retires to bed and picks up a book to read, alone.

Her thoughts wandering, as of late, to the mystery woman that is toni. To those enigmatic brown eyes adorned by black ink boring into her own, eyes that could hold a thousand secrets and stories below that stoic exterior. Her calloused hands in her own soft hands, the very strength and calmness she radiates in everything does.

And though she knows next to nothing about this woman, Cheryl is as hopelessly drawn to everything that is toni topaz as Icarus is to the sun. She wants to spread her wings and chase.

--
Toni's pov

As though stuck in the same predicament, toni was dumbfounded by this stranger's, Cheryl's, kindness. She grips the steering wheel of her work vehicle a little tighter, brows knitting together at the thought. The conviction within those eyes when she'd chased her down not once, but twice offering help. Her smile was so sincere, hands so gentle...
She mentally slapped herself. Don't get too familiar.

"Green light, Topaz," a voice from the seat beside her breaks her reverie and shifts back into gear to continue down the road.

--

3 person pov

They begin to spend time together on campus. cheryl teaches Toni basic and assists with deciphering the professor's notes.

Eventually, Cheryl asks Toni why she's so interested in learning medicine without enrolling for class. She secretly guesses perhaps Toni doesn't have the required visas to allow her to study... or she possibly cannot afford classes.

Toni shrugs haphazardly, "It is fascinating to learn, and it gives me something interesting to do to keep busy outside of work, y'know? Before I came to New york, I travelled a lot. And by doing so, it cultivated a want to learn more. I have no interest in fancy degrees or diplomas. Knowledge of the world is enough for me."

Through Cheryl's casual questions, she learns that Toni works part time as a furniture mover, leading to the toned biceps Cheryl has chanced a glimpse at once or twice.

This had been first job she was able to secure in New york, The company was happy to hire some extra muscle with her motivation levels, and they even provided her with a driver's licence. Cheryl learns she came here with only the clothes on her back and the willingness to start a new life.
--