Míril frowned. “A few hours ago. Mandos said that Maedhros had been forgiven by Ilúvatar, and released him.” She stood, shifting from side to side, unsure what to do as Caranthir's outer shell seemed to crack into a thousand pieces under that knowledge. “He’s out.”

Caranthir hid his face, placing his forehead atop his arms which crossed his propped up knees. His muscles tensed. Caranthir bit his cheek hard to restrain the tears which threatened to fall.

After a moment’s hesitation, Míril sat next to Caranthir against his cell wall. She didn't not too close, or so she hoped. This elf still intimidated her, especially seeing such emotion from his usually sarcastic or stoic features. She didn't say anything.

After several quiet minutes, Caranthir raised his head and brushed his hair roughly out of his face. He didn't turn to face Míril, but his reddened face told her enough. “He is well?   Last I heard of him… he… he had thrown himself into a fiery pit.”

Míril grimaced. “As well as can be expected. He needs to visit Lorien.”

“Míril Fëanoriel.” Caranthir paused and looked straight ahead. “You and your husband and his brother have saved us. We now have a chance for redemption. A chance to see our mother, and our brothers.”

She didn't respond. Instead she stared at her hands, which knew would've been stained with innocent blood had Maglor not intervened. She had saved no one.

Caranthir flashed a tiny smile, facing her. “And you still have three great children back in Middle Earth. I cannot wait to hear more tales of their exploits.” Míril turned to him happily as he continued, “Círeth and Fëalas seem so much like the Ambarussa. I wish they could meet.”

“Perhaps someday,” reminded Míril. “There is hope.”

He nodded immediately. “If any of us deserve to leave the Halls, it is them. They were still young when we swore the Oath.” Caranthir sighed. “Did Mandos tell you why Ilúvatar is releasing so many?”

“What do you mean?”

“I can sense the spirits leaving the Halls. There are many, and if Maedhros got to leave, it must be for a purpose.”

Míril shook her head. “I recall only that he said he was 'unsure’ about Ilúvatar’s plan. That it had not been revealed to him.”

“Strange.” Caranthir mused over his own thoughts.

“Caranthir…”

He cocked an eyebrow at her in question.

Míril sighed. “Could you tell me more about you?”

Caranthir’s eyes widened. “What?”

“I just.” She sighed. “I apologize, that was a stupid question.”

But after a pause, he shrugged. “What did you want to know?”

“Uh… what’s your favorite color?” She chuckled and hid her face. “I don't know!”

He snickered, but nodded. “Black.” After a pause he turned to her. “And you?”

“Copper,” came the muffled response.

Caranthir continued, “And your favorite memory as a child?”

Míril looked over at him. “Being trained by Glorfindel for the first time. And for you?”

A ghost of a smile passed his lips. “Meeting the Ambarussa.”

“You care deeply about family, do you not?” Míril didn't intend her statement to come out sounding surprised, but she guessed it did seeing as Caranthir seemed to draw back. “I just mean… you speak fondly of them.”

After a brief pause, he sighed. “Nearly three ages alone will change your perspective on many things. I regret much, not least of all leaving Ellothien and her descendents with the Edain. But it is for the best, I suppose. You and your parents and their parents would've been targets of Sauron’s from the beginning then. Probably slaughtered alongside Telperinquar… Celebrimbor.”

A voice to their right caused them both to jump to their feet. Míriel, a small smile on her face, passed through the bars. “Hello, Moryo.”

“Míriel.” He nodded a bow quickly. “It is time, I suppose?”

“Yes. She must return to the living.” Míriel gestured for Míril to approach. “Come, child.”

But Míril frowned and looked at Caranthir. When he shook his head sadly, she walked over to the weaver. “May I return?”

Caranthir looked at Míriel hopefully, and when the weaver nodded, explaining that Vairë and Mandos both thought it beneficial that Míril visit the brothers, he actually smiled.

Míril nodded. “I look forward to returning!”

“Visit Celegorm next, perhaps?” Caranthir glanced at Míriel. “Bring it up with the Lord and Lady. He is likely the most troubled of us all.”

Míriel agreed. “You are correct.”

“I’ll be back soon, Caranthir. I promise.” Míril grabbed him in a hug before he could protest, and then backed away with Míriel to grab the bars of the cell.

“Farewell,” murmured Caranthir. As they went to touch the bars, he continued, “Míril, tell my mother and brothers that I miss them. And that I am terribly sorry for all I did. And that someday, the sun will shine on all of us together.”

He wasn't sure how much they caught towards the end. But he hoped they'd caught enough. Turning away from the shrouded barred window, he stared intently at the back wall. With a sigh, Caranthir fell to his knees and allowed himself to weep.

Author's Note:

FEEELS

I enjoyed writing this chapter. It's super enjoyable to be writing young, brash Moryo in the Airequalmë series and then old, worn out, repentant Caranthir here. What a difference three ages will do to a person.

I don't have much to say, other than I really hope you enjoyed this second look into the Halls of Mandos. We will be visiting again, I assure you.

So, why DO you think Ilúvatar is allowing the release of so many elves, even the Fëanorians? Any guesses?

Let me know down below, and don't forget to vote. Love you guys!