Family

Míril watched as Caranthir turned back to her, composed except for the flush of red in his cheeks. Still she frowned, unsure of what to do. But Caranthir finally broke the silence after a few minutes.

“My brothers did not know that Haleth and I joined together. A little too much wine led to a hasty marriage without the betrothal period.” He sighed and scratched his head in thought. “When she conceived a daughter, neither of us could afford to acknowledge her existence, so we entrusted her to a maiden Haleth trusted. It was the child's birth that convinced us to stay apart. According to her letters, there were always rumors amongst the Haladin that the half elf child had been ours, but no such rumors ever came to the ears of our house.”

Míril paused. Then she continued. “What was her name?”

Caranthir hesitated. “Ellothien.” He gave a rueful laugh. “As much as I despised Aikanáro… Aegnor as he was known later… I understood his love of the woman Andreth alone of our House, I think. Even Findaráto could not fully comprehend it, ever seeking to learn more from the wise woman.”

“So it's true then,” Míril whispered, tears stinging her eyes. “Some part of me always doubted, I think. Some part told myself it was all a lie.” As the tears fell, her face scrunched in an effort to stop them. “I am of the House of Finwë.”

Caranthir nodded. “So it would seem. We hate to be a disappointment.” Though sarcasm dripped from his tone of voice, his eyes stayed sad.

Mír choked on her tears. All her thought went to Tinneth. “Do not say that.”

“Ah, so you have learned not to hate us?” He shrugged, shifting in slight discomfort. “I suppose if you are one of us, you would wish not to hate your own bloodline.”

“Caranthir, I cannot hate you. If I hate you I must choose to also hate my daughter.”

Caranthir bit his cheek. He glanced to the floor, suddenly conscious of what she spoke. “I did not mean… I know of what you speak. For that I suppose I must also apologize.”

Míril stopped the tears for a moment, eyes widened. She looked at him and he at her.

“I can apologize. I have learned much after two ages in this place.” With a deep set frown, he looked her over. “A child of Haleth never would've been so brash and uncouth unless she had Fëanorian blood. So again, I apologize.”

“I have to hope- I have to hope that she can learn to love again as you have,” Míril admitted quietly. “As all of you have.”

Caranthir hesitated a moment before posing his biggest question. “Have you seen them? My brothers? When Maglor joined the Halls I wept, both in joy and despair. And at his release...”

Míril sniffled. “I owe Maglor everything.”

“He is well, then?” Caranthir hesitated again. “Míriel brings me news sometimes, but though she is family, I do not always know if she speaks truly, as she works for the Valar.”

“You still distrust them?”

Caranthir shook his head. “Not in the way we did before. Before it was fueled by hatred. Now I fear that Míriel and Ladies Vairë and Nienna seek to placate me in their overabundant care.”

“Maglor is well, at least as far as I can tell. He misses everyone terribly, though he has Fingon to spend time with, and I think it both destroyed him and invigorated him when Maedhros was released.”

Caranthir’s eyes widened in shock, and he backed up against the wall. He slid down the wall, head in his hands. He removed them to look at her. “What?!”