The Great Hunter

Míril had soon fallen back asleep thanks to the medicinal concoctions and mystical atmosphere of the isle of Lórellin. When she awoke many hours later, she found Fingon and Maglor joined by Elladan and Elrohir. Her husband sat by her head and she felt him running his fingers through her brown hair.

“Elrohir,” Míril smiled widely and spoke softly, grabbing his hand. She sat up but lay back into him.

He looked hopefully at her. “Have you found healing, my love?”

“Indeed. My side no longer stings with old pain.” She nodded quietly. “I have also been given strength when I think about Tinneth.”

“Truly this is joyous news indeed,” Elladan grinned. “For though I have enjoyed the healing I've received here today, I am ready to journey elsewhere.”

Fingon and Maglor looked at each other carefully and Maglor gave a tiny nod. He turned to the three half elves.

“We have a proposal to make.” He lowered his voice. “Lady Vairë has learned of the interest you have in the heroes of old. She would like to speak with you about perhaps learning more about them in Mandos.”

“But first,” Fingon added. “There is the matter of your tendency towards… uh… vengeance.”

Míril shuffled her feet where she sat, fiddling with a bracelet she wore. She did not argue with them.

“We think it would be beneficial to you, Míril,” Maglor continued. “As well as the two of you.” He gestured to Elladan and Elrohir. “Beneficial for you to visit Lady Nienna's Halls. For she can teach you three much in pity and endurance through grief. And if she finds you all worthy… well…” He trailed off conspicuously.

As they all agreed to visit her halls, Míril looked up and watched as Melian approached. Her blue dress and dark hair reminded her of Arwen once again.

“May I join you?” Her voice was smooth and kindly.

Maglor nodded deeply as he and Fingon moved to make space for the Maia. “Of course, my Lady.”

“Long has it been since you visited us, Maglor.” She looked sadly at him. “I heard you talking of Lady Nienna. I learned much from her upon my return to Valinor after the of deaths of my husband and child.”

Maglor’s eyes welled up with tears as he lowered his head and looked away. He remembered the second Kinslaying, though this was not of what she spoke. Whenever Doriath came up, he felt sick. It was something he had learned to live with, finding little rest in Lorien because of Melian’s presence.

The Maia sat down. “I visit my husband in the Halls. There are ways in with Vairë's assistance. And Mandos is busy every Tuesday.” She had a twinkle in her eye as she spoke. “If you receive the assistance of Nienna and Vairë, if you are in their favor and they will that you be allowed to visit, then Námo best not say no.”

“So are there, like, visiting hours?” Míril asked in confusion.

Melian chuckled and gave her a wink. “Only if you make them.”

“Then we shall have to!” Míril smiled at her friends. “I am loathe to leave this place, but we must visit Lady Nienna.”

Elrohir agreed. “How far is it?”

Melian shook her head. “Not far. But a day’s ride East. To the very edge of Valinor you must go, the House of Nienna looks out upon the Walls of the World and the sea of Ekkaia.”

Elladan was intrigued. “What do the Walls look like, my lady?”

“Well.” she smirked. “You must see for yourselves!”

Fingon and Maglor stood before helping Lady Melian up as well. Indeed, Míril and the twins were truly sad to be leaving the Isle of Lórellin, but visiting the House of Nienna sounded more important than lingering in this place much longer.

“Do not worry, my friends,” Melian smiled kindly. “For you shall return here. This I am sure of.”

Across the lake they went, bidding farewell to Melian as they did so. Fingon led the way, taking them by boat to the far shore. They were close to the edge of the forest some hours later when a great horn sounded. Fingon and Maglor perked up immediately at the sound. Míril covered her ears and cowered back, alongside her husband and his brother.

Yelping and baying of hounds was the next noise, followed quickly by a sound of many hooves pounding the earth. As they exited the trees, the sounds stopped. Everything was eerily still. Before their eyes they found the source of the noise.

A huge stallion, reminiscent in color to Shadowfax, stood before them. Upon its back, a man sat, his brown hair wavy and to his shoulders with a beard thick but short. Around him were many animals especially hounds and horses. A few other men and one woman sat atop steeds.

“Greetings, Oromë,” Fingon bowed.

The Vala inclined his head in greeting. “Tis always a good day when we meet, Findekáno. And you, Makalaurë.”

“To what do we owe the pleasure?” Maglor nodded to him quickly.

“I bring steeds for you.” He gestured to the riderless horses. “And I wished to meet the three newest inhabitants of Aman. Those who brought light back to us.” Oromë swung himself down from his great horse and strode forward. He wasn't too much taller than the elves, but he was of a bulkier stature.

Míril, Elladan, and Elrohir quickly knelt to the Vala. He nodded to them, accepting their praise, and gestured for them to stand.

Elladan looked in awe upon Oromë. “My lord, you were ever an inspiration to me upon Middle Earth.”

Oromë gave a small smile. “Indeed, Elladan? Your hunt of orcs for many centuries was worthy of song. Manwë oft told me of you and your brother’s quest, and the tapestries woven by Vairë and her handmaidens are decorated with your deeds.”

“For this I am honored!” Elladan grinned. “I hope you would someday give me the even greater honor of learning from you and your folk.”

Oromë looked pleased. “I would gladly train you further in the hunt.” He turned back to the others. “But for now, I bring you steeds so you may make haste across the plains to the House of Nienna.”

Míril was granted a great bay mare, while Elladan and his brother were gifted each white stallions. Fingon and Maglor rode grey steeds, leading the way.

“Farewell, children of fate. May we meet again soon!” Oromë waved at them as they left.