08 | H E S I T A N T

Start from the beginning

River didn't know this, but the breakfast she'd find on the kitchen table in the morning was made by Hayze himself. Everything was delecious and River ate until she was stuffed, which wasn't much because she had always had a small appetite.

Hayze would smile to himself when he found the thank you notes when he came back from work on the table where her food once was. It was always adressed to 'the wonderful chef' and there would always be a little smiley face at the bottom.

He looked forward to seeing those notes even though she had no idea he was the one behind her breakfast. The notes were the highlight to his day, especially after coming home from a stressful day at work.

Hayze thought River wouldn't want to see him. He couldn't be more wrong. Little did he know; she craved his attention, even his touch (though she would never admit it). Actually, she craved basically anyones attention at this point.

Fear. Fear was something Hayze rarely felt. However, he feared losing something he never even had. He was scared that if he tried to get close to River, she'd reject him. He didn't want her to hate and resent him. He didn't really think his sweet Rose was capable of showing hate, but then again, he didn't want to be the first on her list. That would kill him.

Back in the garden, River kept hearing the sounds of vicious barks. It freaked her out that she couldn't figure out where the sounds were coming from and Hayze had never said anything about him having a dog. But then again, he hardly spoke to her in the first place. She hadn't seen him in four days.

River hopped from path stone to path stone, trying to think of some way to entertain herself.

The sudden feeling of being watched had her stumbling over her feet and falling onto the gravel betwewn the pathstones. She hissed as she got up off her scraped knees and plopped down onto her butt to examine the damage.

Hayze had seen as she clumsily tripped and fell in his dead garden which he called her garden now.

He shook his head and mumbled 'clumsy girl' in italian before calling in Vito, who he actually trusted a lot and looked up to. He employed Vito because he was loyal and at the same time he was stuggling to provide for his family.

"Hayze?"

Without looking away from River, he adressed Vito. "Go to River's garden, the one below my study, and help River get cleaned up. Don't touch her too much. And have her eat her dinner as well. She doesn't eat much."

"Isn't that garden locked up?" Vito asked as he came up and peered down at Hayze's wife who was in the middle of pulling down her knee socks.

"Sì, it is."

"Then how'd she get in?"

"I beleive she found a gap in the hedge and crawled through."

Vito chuckled. "She's a small little thing, isn't she."

"Yes," he mumbled as he stared down at River. He hated seeing her hurt. "Now go do what i asked," he commanded.

"Sorry." Vito turned to exit but he quickly stopped himself. "With all due respect, shouldn't you be the one down there helping her up. I know this was an arranged marriage but i know you care for her. Why haven't you given her any attention? I'm sure she must be lonely."

I wish i could give her my attention and love

"She's not a child. She doesn't need my attention," Hayze said dismissively.

"I think you're forgetting that she practically is one," Vito said with a sigh.

Hayze abruptly turned around to say he'd do it, but unfortunately, Vito was already gone.