chapter 18|| valentine's

"And if walking back home is the way to my heart"

  "You've taken it over and torn it apart"

I walk up to Sweet Pea and Fangs and as I do so I take out my headphones. I wrap them up carefully and put them in my pocket. The two boys are wearing their jackets and are standing at their bikes.

As I approach, Sweet Pea holds his arm up and I walk underneath so he can snake it around my shoulders. I peck him on the lips quickly and he finishes his conversation with Fangs. They're talking about the weather and their bikes.

"You really won't let him ride on his bike if it's snowing?" Fangs asks me. I don't like the way he asks the question, but I'll answer anyways.

I shrug. "It's not safe," I answer. 

"So you're going to walk back to Sunny Side with your bike?" Fangs asks Sweet Pea. It's snowing a little now, but an hour ago it was snowing a lot heavier. The roads are icy.

Now Sweet Pea shrugs and says, "It's not safe."

Fangs mumbles something under his breath, but I can't hear it because he starts his bike and rides off. Sweet Pea chuckles at Fang's comment and shakes his head.

"What did he say?" I ask Sweet Pea as we start walking.  Sweet Pea walks with his bike and I walk with my hands in my pocket. I'm really cold, but I know I'll be home soon enough.

"He called me 'pussy whipped'."

"What does that mean?"

"He's saying that I do what ever you say," his voice is lighthearted so I know he's not upset about it.

"That's not true," I say defensively. But I don't know if I'm defending Sweet Pea or myself.

He shrugs again. "Even if it is, I don't care."

I'm quiet for a bit as we continue our walk back home. "I just don't want you to get hurt," I say.

"I know."

"You could ride your bike if you wanted. I'm not your boss."

"Really, Reagan, I don't care. If you want to walk, I'll walk."

I'm quiet for a bit. I don't know why Fang's comment bothered me so much.

"What should we do tomorrow?" he asks me.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Tomorrow's the 14th."

"The 14th? Oh, right. Valentine's day."

"We could do something nice?" he suggests.

"Something nice?" I ask.

"I've been saving up the money I've been getting to fix people's bikes. We could go out to dinner. Or a movie?" he asks.

"Dinner where?"

"You pick."

 ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° ° º ° 

I wake up in the middle of the night with a shiver that I can't shake. I'm wearing three pairs of socks, leggings, sweatpants, and two jackets underneath my blanket and I still feel frozen to my core. I can hear from outside the trailer the wind and the snow falling on the roof. It's really blizzarding.

I try to go back to sleep, but I can't. The cold won't let me sleep. I don't know how long I lie in bed, but soon I hear my alarm go off.

I get up and make my way to the kitchen. I have a head ache and my throat feels really scratchy. I see FP standing at the stove making oatmeal for us. He's wrapped in a blanket, but I can see his ankles and his slippers.