chapter 9|| halloween

"All my friend think you're vicious and they say you're suspicious"

"You keep dreaming and dark scheming yeah you do"

It's chilly as I walk to school. It's now officially autumn and the leaves are falling of the tree. I like the sound them make as I step on them.

It has been a month since I've been initiated. I feel as though the Serpents have officially accepted me. They invite me to hang outs and parties, though I don't normally go. Jughead has been more friendly towards me now. I sometimes feel like I've replaced Archie for him. Archie's been so caught up in the Riverdale drama and his relationship with Veronica that he's put Jughead on the back burner.

Betty has become one of my better friends now too. She's been spending a lot of time at our place. I think it's because her mom, but I don't know the whole story.

I walk into the trailer and put my backpack on one of the chairs in the kitchen. Jughead and Betty are cuddled up on the couch watching something on the TV.

I take a seat in the arm chair beside them.

"We're thinking about planning a movie night," Betty tells me.

"Betty's thinking about planning a movie night," Jughead mumbles. I get the impression that he doesn't like sharing the time he has with Betty with the other Serpents.

"That would be fun," I comment without much thought.

"We were thinking, maybe watching a scary movie on Halloween and inviting a few people over."

"Who were you thinking of?" I ask. I bypass the scary movie comment. I hate scary movies, and depending on who's going, I might have to come up with an excuse to not go.

"Kevin and Joaquin are always looking for an excuse to hang out outside of school," Betty comments and looks at Jughead. She gives him a smirk and he smirks back before turning his attention to me.

"And Sweet Pea said he'd want to come."

I move my eyes so I'm no longer looking at Jughead and instead I look at my hands that are in my lap.

"Yeah, now that I think about it, I don't know if I can. I might be going to Greendale because we have a four day weekend."

I remember the night I kissed Sweet Pea. Since that night we've become better friends, but neither of us have brought up that kiss again. It's almost as though it didn't happen.

"We can move it back a few days, if you'd like," Jughead says. Something in his tone makes me feel like he's got an ulterior motive.

"Why do you want me to go so bad?" I ask bluntly. Now that I've spent so much time with him it's easy for me to call him on these types of things.

Jughead smiles, but shakes his head. When he looks at Betty, Betty smiles back and then turns her gaze towards me.

"Kevin told us a secret about you and Sweet Pea."

"Kevin? What secret?" I ask. I try to keep the worry out of my voice. Do they know about the kiss?

"Sweet Pea said to Joaquin, who then told Kevin, who then told me, that he really likes you."

"Who? Sweet Pea?" I have butterflies in my stomach. This can't be true, Joaquin must have misheard.

Betty nods.

"As a friend though," I justify his confession to make more sense to me.

"No. He really likes you. He told Joaquin that he liked you since you were partners on that book project. He said you were nice to him when you didn't have to be."