Chapter Eighteen: Wolves Attack

It had been nearly a week since they had put the plan in action. At first Eleanor wished that their trap would be sprung much later, now she found herself regretting that wish.

She and Arno were never at home at the same times anymore. In the morning he left, and he wouldn't return until lunch. They would be able to talk for a few hours until it was time for Eleanor to leave until dark. She found herself missing his company dreadfully.

Sure, she had Marion to talk to, but she was often busy the times she was home as well. She took up more work helping around the café, hoping that would make the time go by faster. And while it worked, it didn't do as well as Eleanor had hoped.

Eleanor got ready for her late afternoon walk. Today she was supposed to be out later, to see how close to springing the trap their opponent was. She met Arno at the gates.

"Are you ready?" he asked. Eleanor inclined her head.

"As I'll ever be," she sighed, tucking her books into her basket.

"Here," he said, handing over one of his pistols, "In case anything happens tonight."

"Thank you," she took it gingerly from his hands, also tucking it into her basket, "but I won't need it. I'll have you, and Papa."

"Please be careful," he took her hands in his, "Please."

Eleanor closed the distance between them, hugging him tightly. After a moment, Arno returned the gesture, burying his face into her shoulder. They stood there for a long moment, holding each other.

"I will," she whispered to him before breaking apart, "And the same goes for you," she chuckled.

"A difficult request, but for you, I'll try."

"You better," she chuckled, "Because our picnic is tomorrow and if you miss it I'll be very upset with you."

"It would take more than a few templars to make me miss that," he assured her.

"I should be off then," Eleanor sighed, "I'll see you later."

They exchanged final goodbyes, before Eleanor left the gates. As they shut behind her a feeling of loneliness swept over her. Even though she knew Papa and Arno were somewhere watching her, she couldn't help feeling alone.

Pushing herself forward, she began walking her normal route. She stopped at several stores along the way, browsing through their wares. The sky began darkening and that was her cue to be heading home.

On the way back, the streets were far less crowded. Not that it mattered, she was supposed to be using the backroads anyway. She hadn't gotten but halfway back home when she realized she was being followed by someone other than Arno or Papa.

She took a deep breath to steel herself and followed the plan. Eleanor was to lead her follower into an area with plenty of fighting room. She wanted desperately to look to the rooftops for any sign of Arno or her papa to comfort her but doing so would give away their position. As far as she was concerned she was alone. 

Eleanor began the chase, weaving through several alleyways. Once she was sure she was actually being followed and it wasn't her imagination, she picked up the pace. The person following her did as well. She kept glancing backwards to face her attacker, but they stuck just out of sight. Finally, she broke out into a sprint and the person following her followed suit.

Finally, she came to an area that would work nicely. It was a dead end, therefore believable for her to trap herself in. But it offered enough room for nearly three men to stand abreast. She ran toward it, throwing terrified looks over her shoulder.