Chapter Six: Old Friends

The next morning came after a fitful sleep. Eleanor was almost too scared to wake up again, lest she wake up in the wrong room again. But when she opened her eyes, she was in the same room she fell asleep in. She let out a breath of relief.

            The door to the room opened.

            "Excuse me, Eleanor, I hate to wake you but breakfast is ready," Marion poked her head in through the door.

            "Thank you, I'll be right down," Eleanor mumbled, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She stretched out lazily, trying to wake herself up. But it was no use, she was never a morning person.

            She trudged downstairs thoughtlessly. The smell of food led her to the dining room. There she found two place settings at the opposite ends of the table. Arno sat at one end, steadily working on his breakfast. Eleanor sat down at the other end of the table.

            "Good morning," he chirped cheerfully.

            "Morning," she grumbled, which was as close to a greeting as she could get that morning. He chuckled at her.

            "So, you aren't a morning person? I wouldn't have guessed."

            Eleanor didn't say anything, she regarded him as she ate her breakfast. The two of them ate in silence, which she was grateful for. After she had eaten, however, she was feeling much more awake. Arno had long since gotten up and informed her that should she need him, he would be in the training room.

            Eleanor decided that she would try and find Marion. They could start their painting and reading lessons that they had planned the first day she arrived. After searching the entire house, Eleanor finally found Marion in the courtyard.

            "Hello," Eleanor greeted the other girl.

            "Hello, Eleanor, it's nice to see you more awake," Marion greeted.

            "Yes, usually once I get something to eat I'm fine."

            "I'll take note of that for the future," she giggled, "Is there something you needed?"

            "I was just wondering if you wanted to start our lessons today?"

            "I'm afraid I can't," Marion frowned, "See, I'm off for the weekend to visit my family in the country. I'm sorry."

            "Don't be sorry. We can do it when you get back."

            "Of course."

            "When are you leaving?"

            "Well, I was getting ready to right now."

            "Oh goodness that's soon. Well, have fun on your trip and be safe," Eleanor smiled.

            "I really am sorry," Marion frowned.

            "Don't be. I'll go bother Arno instead."

            A carriage pulled up outside the gates of the building. Marion looked guiltily at Eleanor. She laughed in response.

            "Go. Have fun!" she exclaimed, "I'm not bothered by it at all. I'll see you when you get back."

            "Right, thank you. I'll see you later," Marion smiled. She got into the carriage and waved goodbye as it pulled away.

            Eleanor turned back to the house. Now where could this training room possibly be? She thought she recalled seeing glimpses of one from the bedroom. So, she made her way there and walked out into the garden from the room.