Chapter Thirteen: Something There

The two of them walked out together. This time Arno didn't even suggest the blindfold, for which Eleanor was thankful. When they got to the house, Eleanor felt exhausted. But she still had so many questions that Arno had promised her answers to.

            "I'll meet you in the library?" he offered.

            Eleanor nodded and bounded up the stairs. She waited patiently in one of the two chairs by the fireplace. Arno came into the room, offering a warm cup of hot chocolate.

            "Thank you," Eleanor grinned, curling her fingers around the cup delightfully.

            Arno settled into the chair beside her, blowing on his cup to cool it off.

            "So," Eleanor began, "An assassin, huh?"

            "Yeah."

            "Sounds pretty cool," she grinned at him.

            "I suppose it does," he shrugged, grinning as well.

            "Though," Eleanor paused, "Does that mean you've killed people?"

            Arno watched her intensely as though he were trying to figure out what to say next. Even though she was already sure of the answer, she held her breath in anticipation.

            "Yeah," he said finally, "But never innocents."

            "Who are you to judge who is innocent and who is guilty?" Eleanor frowned.

            "We don't go around killing anyone we please," he chuckled lightly, "The assassin's work in order to keep the freedom and safety of humankind for those who cannot fight for themselves."

            Eleanor nodded thoughtfully, "I suppose that's a noble goal. And people like Master Trenet are to make sure that only the bad people are being assassinated, correct?"

            "Correct. We have rules just like any other organization."

            Eleanor giggled, "What kind of rules would assassins have?"

            "You wouldn't believe how many," Arno sighed exasperatedly, "But mainly they just go by a creed."

            "What's the creed?"

            "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

            "Sounds odd," Eleanor scrunched up her nose.

            "I think so too," Arno laughed.

            "Then why did you join the assassins?"

            Arno chuckled, gazing down into his mug, "That's a long story."

            "Another time then," Eleanor nodded in understanding.

            Eleanor paused. She finally had her questions answered, but still nothing made any sense. She still felt like she was left out in the dark. At least now, she at least had a candle to light the way.

            "What about my father?" she asked, "Is his mission to assassinate Monsieur Gerard?"

            "No, he was only a front for the real mastermind, to throw off suspicion."

            "There's someone controlling Gerard? Who is he?" 

            "I don't have any idea," Arno sighed, "if your father knows, he isn't telling me. He doesn't share much."