Chapter 21: Ronnie

Start from the beginning

                I sit on the end of the couch near one of the glass tables, next to Saige.  Ivan and Blake sit on the other couch.  Logan and Carson sit on the couch farthest away from the fire.  Logan hunches over and heaves a huge sigh.  “Well, I have some good news.”  Logan starts.  “Carson and I have watched you guys training and evaluated your skills.  I think it’s time for all of you to advance a level in your training.”

                We all stir at that.  We each exchange glances, smiling in excitement.  “What about Kimberley and Jason?”  Ivan asks leaning forward.

                “Jason shall stay with Frank, I believe he still has some things to learn.  He’s close though, to becoming a new Captain.  He will probably be named shortly after he turns eighteen.  But I believe Kimberley is ready.” 

                “Awesome, so who are our new mentors?”  Saige asks eagerly. 

                “Well,” Carson now talks, “We have decided to let Blake go with Harry.”

                “Yes, I get to have Harry!” I knew Carson would choose Harry.  Harry usually helps out Blake when James is drunk or having trouble talking to Blake properly.  He seemed to have grown a soft spot for Blake. 

                “Ivan you shall now train with Javen.”  Ivan grins and leans back in his seat.  I don’t know if I know Javen all that well, but Ivan seems to so that’s good enough for me. 

                “Saige, I will take you on as my new apprentice.”  Carson smiles looking at Saige.  Saige’s eyes grow huge with excitement.  “No, way!  I get the Sargent!”  She gasps in surprise.  Carson just chuckles a little in amusement.  Yep, Carson has a sweet spot for all of us, but that doesn’t mean she takes it easy on us.  One time she made me train all day.  I can’t remember if I had lunch or not that day.  All I remember is I slept like a two year old that night.

                I wait to see who my mentor will be.  Nobody says anything.  I see Logan rest his elbows on his knees and fold his hands.

                “Ronnie, you and Kimberley shall have a different kind of mentor.”  He says in a low casual voice.  “You both shall receive your training at a different place.” 

                My mind stops for a moment, “What do you mean different place?”

                “Ronnie, you and your sister shall train with a man named Jamahoro.  He said he shall take you and your sister into his house and train you in his way-”

                “What!”  Everyone turns to whose voice shouted amongst the crowd.  We see Kimberley standing in shock holding her backpack in one hand.  She is standing a few feet behind Logan and Carson’s couch.  Her mouth is wide open in shock, and her face is full of surprise and anger.  Jason is standing next to her looking equally as shocked.  She drops her backpack and walks frantically around the couch to the fire standing in front of it.  “You’re sending us away, from our home?!  From our family?  You’re just going to give us away,” her voice is becoming raspy and the tears start to form in her eyes, “How can you?!”