Chapter 12

I swung through the streets, feeling the cool wind swirling around my body. At the moment, I didn't care enough to put my suit on.

I landed on the ground outside my window and lifted it, opening it so I could climb inside my room. I fell through my window, tumbling across the carpet floor in a somersault. On purpose, of course.

I ended my somersault with a flip. In midair, I tossed my backpack on my bed, then I landed beside it, on my back. My mattress bounced from the impact, and I allowed my arms to flop beside me.

I picked up my phone and stared at my wallpaper. I still hadn't changed it...the picture was still of Gwen and me. I sighed and plugged in my earbuds, turning on my music. I listened to several songs, just staring at the ceiling. Then, my phone buzzed. A text.

It was from Gwen.

I was overcome with excitement. She was actually texting me something other than her usual "I'm busy right now"!

"Hey, Peter. I'm really sorry I haven't texted you properly in so long...it's just that I've got a lot going on right now. I have had so much research to do. I finally have all of my projects turned in, so I have a little bit of free time...for now. How are you?" It said.

"I'm doing great. I'm glad to hear from you! I miss you," I replied.

"I miss you too. So, how's Spider-Man?"

"He's alright, but a guy in my biology class has suspicions about me being Spider-Man."

"Oh no! What are you going to do?"

"I don't know yet. He was going to pick a fight with me in the hall but the graphic design instructor stopped him. I wanted to fight him so bad, but that would only make it worse."

"So, you just stood there?"

"Pretty much. I know he's going to make another move soon, but I don't know what, and I'm still not sure how to deal with it."

"Just do what you can to convince him otherwise? Or maybe you can give him a reason to drop the idea?"

"Maybe."

"Anyway, how's Aunt May?"

"She's good. She's still a little uneasy every time I go out, but she's handling it well."

"Good to hear!"

"So, how's England?"

"It's amazing! I went to London last week, just to visit."

"Really? How was it?"

"It was beautiful! I wish you could be here to see it."

I stared at her text for a minute before replying. I wanted to see her again so bad. I just wanted to wrap my arms around her and kiss her. I rubbed my forehead, then replied.

"Me too. Maybe I could visit sometime," I texted her.

"That would be wonderful!" I smirked, imagining her curled up on her own bed, in the Oxford dormitory, or wherever she was staying.

We texted each other for a while longer, then I left my room to check on Aunt May. Instead, I found Harry Osborn sitting on our couch. He was wearing a big green smile and his Green Goblin armor.

"Well hello, Peter," he said, giving an obnoxious laugh.

"Harry...what are you doing here?" My eyes searched the room for any traces of Aunt May.

"I just wanted to pay you a visit," he said confidently. "Oh, and your Aunt May, she's locked in the pantry. I wanted to have a little private time."

"Harry what..."

"We used to be friends, Peter! What happened? You betrayed me! You and your selfishness...and I am still not healed! You stole my hope. I am here for revenge."

"Harry, I was just trying to protect you!"

"From what?"

"From what you turned yourself into!"

"I feel wonderful, actually. But, I'm still running out of days to live. You still betrayed me, and now you will pay!"

"Harry! Don't do this, please! You will regret it..."

"I have no regrets, Peter. Well, maybe I have one...trusting you."

"Harry..."

"I'll be back, Peter. You'd better watch your back. I've got so much power now, and allies! They all want Spider-Man dead, and I'm not going to stop them." And, with that, Harry stepped on his glider, then flew out the window, crashing through the glass like it wasn't even there.

After Harry was gone, I ran to the pantry, struggling to pry off the strange devices that he'd used to keep the door shut. When I'd finally removed them, they flashed green, then dissolved in a green fog, disappearing into nothingness.

I opened the pantry door to find Aunt May huddled in the corner of the room, surrounded by fallen cans of food. There was a frightened look on her face.

"Peter! Thank God!" She relaxed. "What happened?"

"It looks like I've got more enemies that want to kill me."

"Peter...what have you done?"

"I haven't done anything, except try to save a friend from the exact thing that he did anyway...and now he hates me for trying to stop him."