Chapter 9

Chapter 9

 We finished eating then talked until Jace came and got us. By then I wasn’t really excited about the ball I

was really tired and just wanted to get this mission over with. We walked into another long hallway and came to a green entry way. The greeter greeted us all and asked our names. Once he checked the list he led us all in. The ballroom was fabulous! It was full of big colorful chandlers and bright colorful flowers. People were everywhere; the whole city of Soarana must have been there.

“Get with your partners.” Jace commanded us “Remember you represent me and the King so do not mess anything up. Act graceful and be polite. Also have fun.” He walked away leaving us by ourselves.

“What are we supposed to do?” Holly asked. I had a feeling she wasn’t very happy about this.

“Jace said earlier all we have to do in make an appearance and we can leave. I suppose we should dance.” I said.  I was never much of a dancer and this was way out of my comfort zone. Karmen and Brantley on the other hand were gone as soon as I mentioned it. I spotted them dancing with a large group of people.

“Sounds fun!” Ryder announced. He pulled Holly along, despite her protests.

“Do we have to dance?” Luke asked me.

“I don’t think so. As long as we are having fun. We can do other things in order to have fun without dancing.”

 “May I escort you to the food table?” Luke asked holding out his arm.

  “Of course!” I grabbed his arm and we walked over. I was still hungry even if we had just eaten. There was a ton of food. Pastries and cakes and jelly filled doughnuts. It was all amazing! Soon enough I was full. When we were done stuffing our faces we decided to sit down. Towards the sides all around the dance floor was seating for the dancers when they got tired, or for two lazy teens. We watched the dancers glide gracefully by. I spotted Holly and Ryder. They were both smiling and having a blast! I also saw Jace who was dancing with a woman in a bright yellow dress. I looked over at Luke who was sitting next to me. He was smiling as he watched the dancers go by. As I watched the peaceful expression in his face I realized he wanted to dance. He had acted like he didn’t want to just for my sake. I felt really bad and looked over at him again. He did so much for me the least I could do was dance with him.

“Do you want to dance?” I asked

“What?” his expression looked confused. He tilted his head to the side “Are you serious? I mean, sure why not.” He got up and escorted me to the dance floor.

“I have never done this before so you will have to help me.” I whispered to him

“Don’t worry it’s easy. Put your hand here.” He placed my hand on his shoulder and grabbed my other. The music started and off we went. He walked me through the steps. It was really easy; all I really had to do was follow his feet. Soon enough I was able to look up. It was amazing everything seemed to fly by; everything was a blur except Luke. Our eyes met and he smiled. Everything seemed perfect for awhile then the song stopped.

“Did you have fun?” he asked catching his breath

“Yes! It was amazing. How do you know how to dance?” I asked

“My Aunt and Uncle were ballroom instructors I used to help them teach.”

“You are a great teacher.” As soon as I said this the King was on the stage.

“Hello everyone. Queen Jessa and I would like to thank each and every one of you for coming. It has meant a lot. Now the reason for all of you coming.” He spent the next few minutes telling the story of how Soarana came to be and how we were sent out in order to rescue the Princess. “I now introduce the team. Holly Riddle and Ryder Jenson, Brantley Davis and Karmen Gomez, and Addilyn Cooper and Luke Anderson” We each walked up as we were called out and stood in front of everyone. The people “ooed” and “awed” then cheered like crazy. It was like a football stadium.