Chapter Forty Four

Comincia dall'inizio

My phone started ringing, it's a private number. Who could it be? I thought to myself and answered the call.

"Hello," I said.

"Hi. It's Adil," He spoke in a gruff tone.

"Oh, um how are you?" I shifted my sitting my position, already feeling uncomfortable by the conversation.

"I have had better days. I have missed you, I just wanted to hear your voice. You've always been able to make me feel lighter," He said in a husky tone.

"So how's your fiancé?" I asked, changing the topic. My palms already sweaty from the nervousness.

"She's well."  There was silence, and it was no good for me. It made me feel more agitated and somehow nauseous. I couldn't understand why... "How's your husband?"

"Yeah Ahmed is good alhamdulilah..."

"Why shouldn't he be? Two hearts beat for him."

"What?" I jumped to my response.

"Aisha is in love with your husband," he said in a flat tone.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"You deserve to know."

"My love," I felt Ahmed's hand on my shoulder. I quickly hang up the call and nervously smiled. "Sorry I took so long. I got an a important call," He said and sat on his seat.

"That's okay," I said and cleared my throat. Aisha being in love with Ahmed didn't seem to bother me, I didn't feel completely jealous neither did I feel like it was a big deal. Did Ahmed know Aisha is in love with her? If he does know, why hasn't he mentioned it to me.

"Layla, Layla..." Ahmed placed his hand on mine. I looked at him. "What's wrong? You've been quiet since Imad left."

"I just miss him," I said and smiled.

"Five more days, then we will all be together," Ahmed said trying to make me feel better.

"In sha allah," I said. From the beginning this marriage started as a lie, I just don't want that to continue. I don't want lies to exist in this relationship we have.

"Have you talked to Adil recently?" I almost chocked on the food I had swallowed, I started coughing. I reached for the glass of water and took a sip. "Are you okay?"

"I am fine. Actually I did talk to him," I spoke.

"Is he okay? I am worried about him Layla. His mom called me recently and said he hadn't visited her for the past week and he always does."

"Over the phone he seemed okay," I told him.

"What did he tell you?"

"He says he misses me," I told him. I looked at him and stopped eating.

"I don't think you should be picking up his phone calls," His mood suddenly changed.

"It was a private number, I didn't know it was him."

"Why are you picking up private numbers in the first place?" He asked, sounding frustrated.