The Absolute Truth.

“We are never the same with others as when we are alone. We are different, even when we are in the dark with them.”

~Maurice Maeterlinck.

     He rushes over to me and I frown as he nears me. Fortunately, my situation doesn't get any worse when he's around. When he gets closer, he realizes who I am and what I'm doing. He holds his hands up in surrender and backs away. But now that he's here, there are things that I want to know.

     “I'm giving myself The Injection.”

     “Which one?” he calls out cautiously. My forehead scrunches in confusion.

     “The Reverie Injection.”

     He noticeably freezes. “Why would you do that to yourself?” he scoffs. My head cocks to the side.

     “What do you mean by that?”

     He doesn't answer. He merely stands there. I sit down on the damp ground and pat the space beside me. Perhaps he'd sit with me.

     “Come here,” I say in a friendly manner. He hesitates.

     “Put The Reverie Injection away,” he commands. I do as he tells me to and he walks over and slumps down next to me, still eyeing The Injection that's now in its bag.

     “Have you ever used any of The Injection?” I ask him. He nods.

     “Of course I have.”

     I nod back. “Have you ever used The Reverie Injection?”

     He sighs. “Of course I have,” he repeats. I purse my lips. I'm not going to get anything out of him if he keeps being so adamant.

     “Peyton Ritman? Can't you tell me the absolute truth?” It's the first time I've uttered his name aloud. He surveys me with mild incredulity.

      “I don't know if I can tell you,” he says clearly.

____________

Character banner credited to gabbyalex