The Dark Heart.

The heart of another is a dark forest, always, no matter how close it has been to one's own.”

~Willa Cather.

     Soon, I find the identity of the one with the Dark heart. His name's Peyton Ritman and essentially, he's a PerLi. 'PerLi' is a term used on people who're said to be fortunate and surrounded by luck. The term's short for 'Perfect Life', and it's exactly that. Nowadays, PerLis tend to be those who live in an area that's hit by sunlight. Since a majority of us live in The Darkness, we envy the PerLis. Naturally, the PerLis see themselves as a superior being, compared to us.

     It's no wonder that a PerLi like Peyton Ritman would react the way he did. However, it doesn't calm my heart as much as I'd have liked after discovering such news. In fact, it further peaks my interest, as I begin to wonder why a PerLi like him would have a dreadful torment lodged deep inside of him. After all, in reality, he's well liked by his peers and family. Theoretically, he should have a great life. Things aren't black and white though, as I know all too well.

     During the next situation where I have to interact with him, it's not by choice. Regardless, it's a moment that I would remember forever. When the teacher uses the 'random' generator, a list of names pop up on the large screen. Compared to the Dark atmosphere around us, the bright glow of the artificial light is blinding. I locate our names and gasp in shock. It has to be coincidence to see our two names together, right after I stumble upon his existence.

     Royan Mckinley and Peyton Ritman.

______

Character banner credited to MareBarexxo