Chapter 18: Aggie

So, there's a bit of overlap with the last chapter and this one.  This one starts directly after Aggie leaves Parker's house (after she sleeps on his couch), the day prior to the birthday party.

I feel like i should mention, this is where the book starts to get kind of dark.  Believe it or not, Parker is one of the more lighthearted stories ive ever written.

Regardless, i hope you guys like it.  Please consider voting and leaving a comment!  i love reading them and seeing you reactions!

***********************************************************************************

Chapter 18: Aggie

After leaving Parker's house, Aggie had walked through her front door carrying her destroyed Dr. Martens in one hand and her newly purchased blue Aquarium sweater in the other. It was hideous and tacky, but somehow she knew she wouldn't be able to throw it away. The memories associated with it were too good.

Little Georgina jumped at her feet as she walked down the hallway to her room. Aggie was glad to find that no one was home. She had no interest in explaining her state of appearance to Georgina, let alone her father. This would give her some time to take a shower and get the car washed before they got home.

But once Aggie flopped down on her bed, a wave of exhaustion hit her. Her back hurt from sleeping on Parker's uneven sofa, and she was sore from when she had slipped in the cave.

But just when she thought she might drift off to sleep, her sister's journal on her nightstand caught her eye. Aggie reached for it with a new found determination. She spent the next couple hours pouring over it. Every fucked up drawing, every scribbled over mark, every word of that strange disturbing poem. She even googled each line of it, wondering if her sister had copied it from somewhere. She found nothing. Around 10pm, she heard the muffled voices of Georgina and her father enter through the front door. Her father peeked into her room, but Aggie pulled the covers over her head, pretending to be asleep. And she stayed that way until she finally did drift into slumber.

The following morning, it took her a good hour to get the stench of the ocean out of her hair. After scrubbing herself clean from the water and the grime of the cave, she noticed that she could hear footsteps in the kitchen. She wandered outside her bedroom for the first time that morning, hoping to find her father, but was disappointed to see the back of Georgina's blond bob, staring at a book on the kitchen counter.

She was contemplating whether or not she'd be able to grab a cup of coffee without Georgina noticing, when her blond hair whipped around and her dark eyes met Aggie's.

"There you are Agatha," she said, smiling her appropriate grown-up smile.

"You guys are back," Aggie noted, "Where's Dad?"

"Oh he's working," she said with a sigh, "Working as always."

Aggie nodded solemnly. Thinking that this was enough interaction with Georgina for the day-possibly for the whole year-she turned to leave.

"Agatha," came Georgina's voice once again, "Do you think you could help me with something?" Aggie remembered how poorly it had gone the last time she asked that question. She wondered what Georgina wanted this time. Perhaps she'd like pictures of her face glued in old family photos so that she could further insert herself into Aggie's life.

Georgina held up the book that she'd been reading. To Aggie's surprise, it wasn't one of her dense, boring law-books. Instead, it was a ratty old cookbook, cover cracking with age.

"There's a great recipe in here for scones," she said, "I used to make them all the time. Want to help me?"

Aggie didn't know what it was about this week and middle-aged woman trying to shove fattening breakfast foods down her throat, but she wished they'd stop.