Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

  The Autobots made their way to the large transport elevator that would bring them to the roof. Once they were gone, Ratchet turned to us.

  "What happened?" He asked, his anger faded. "I want every detail."

  Jack and Miko launched into the story, with Raf piping up here and there. On the other hand, I closed my eyes and reached for my powers, feeling them stir gently within me. Ever since pulling that shield trick on Cybertron, my powers had been a little weaker but they were still useable. I just couldn't pull any stunts that required a lot of power. So I reached for what I had and used it to get a feel of what was going on. Agent Fowler made it sound like the threat was just outside of the base, and he wouldn't be calling the base if the threat wasn't Cybertronian. That meant I would be able to feel it.

  With my eyes still closed, I felt my powers stretch out, scanning for Cybertronian metals. I felt the Autobots on the roof, then not far from them a massive hunk of metal. No, not a hunk... a fortress of some sort. That made me gasp and my eyes flew open just as the base rumbled. I reached out for the railing as support, seeing the others do the same as the Autobots ran back into the base.

  "What's going on?" I asked, seeing the stricken look on their faces (well, except for Optimus).

  "The Decepticons have invaded Jasper," The Prime replied grimly.

  "Fowler and Finn seem to think they can hold them off," Bulkhead added. "In just a helicopter!"

  "What?" I grabbed my phone, already dialing Fowler. "They can't-" My actions were cut off by another rumble, then Fowler called in to base. At least, it was Fowler's icon.

  "Optimus," Finn said, which only meant they were both in the same helicopter. "Reinforcements just arrived. This is your chance to retreat."

  The Prime approached the computer. "Finn, Agent Fowler, your military cannot prevail against the-"

  "You didn't think I was gonna let Team Prime have all the fun, did you?" A familiar voice said over the comm channel.

  "It's Jackie!" Bulkhead exclaimed, referring to his wrecker friend Wheeljack.

  "Wheeljack?" Ratchet asked. "But how did you-"

  "I picked up a strange energy surge," Wheeljack replied. "Hope you don't mind."

  The medic shook his head. "No. It's just after everything.. Well.."

  "We're still on the same team, Doc. Always will be."

  As everyone took in the fact that Wheeljack was jumping back on the grid to make a special appearance to help out, I saw Optimus walk towards the ground/space bridge, his gaze low.

  What is he thinking?

  "Ratchet," The Prime finally spoke up. "Prepare to bridge everyone out of here."

  The medic's jaw practically dropped. "We're abandoning the base?"

  "The base is lost," Optimus announced. "Wheeljack, Finn, and Agent Fowler can only buy us time to escape." He turned to us. "Bumblebee, Rafael, you will depart first."

  "You're splitting us up?" Raf asked worriedly.

  "Shouldn't we stick together?" Jack said.

  "All for one and one for all?" Miko added.

  Optimus shook his head slightly. "We must disperse to avoid capture until we can regroup and launch a counterattack. Survival is our only priority now."