Sacrifices : Evacuation

I don't really know when I'll post another part to this story. I've managed to get myself in a slump. Please leave comments about what I should do from here, I'll take them into concideration. Writer's block is rather atrocious to get. 

                                                                  Evacuation

It was a place of liberation. Being in a recording studio expelled all of the worries and fears from Ember's mind, and instead instilled optimism in her. Every day was the future she had dreamed of, and each of the days' scenarios were evidence that an even brighter one lay ahead. 

To live to tell the tale

Years to no avail

It all goes hand in hand 

and now there's solid ground on which I stand

  The nameless album felt more like her child as it progressed. Everything Ember had heard, felt, even tasted had manifested itself into this record, and she had no means by which to quell her idolization for it. The record would be her legacy, and she felt as though death could now happen to her without only a history of failure left behind. The end had already begun twenty-two years ago and Ember accepted that it was inevitable. She had no desire to live forever, she just wanted to create something that would, and she was willing to give everything to ensure that this record could long outlive her. 

  Aden set the newspaper down on the counter as it could hold his interest no longer. He had grown increasingly concerned in the last few minutes. The sound of running water had grown cacophonous since it began nearly an hour ago. Aden's nerves had finally gotten the best of him and he made his way through the bedroom and to the bathroom door. 

  His heart rate escalated when his knocking garnered no response. He called her name a few times with only silence echoing his words. He checked the doorknob and found it to be unlocked, then he swiftly entered. 

  Aden repeated her name as he stormed through the misty room. Paralysis stuck him briefly when he reached the shower curtain. The name was still dripping from his mouth in a whisper.

  He shunned the monstrous anxiety and threw the curtain aside with quivering hands. What he saw was no surprise. 

  She looked ever so peaceful in her aquatic danger. 

  He readily shut the water off and raised Ember's unconscious head, forcing the water out of her mouth. There was no breathing. He was shouting instinctively, demanding that someone call an ambulance. Everything was transforming to haze as Aden lifted her soaked body from the tub and threw a towel over her. Disbelief crippled his body and brought him to the floor as screams outside his consciousness pierced the air.

  He felt as though his own child was in his arms. Every dreadful emotion imaginable swirled throughout him in this moment of panic, confusion, and agony, but one thing was for sure: he had never loved her more. 

  It was all as Ember would have it to be: chaotic. Ambulance lights spun as her unconscious body was hauled down the hotel stoop, dressed in an inside-out tank top and jeans that weren't hers. Paramedics worked methodically as a crowd gathered. Her friends awaited nervously. 

  They administered pure oxygen to Ember which miraculously stimulated her breathing. A few minutes passed before she began to move, and then the definitive moment came when her eyes opened. 

  Dizziness, nausea, and headache pained her like a hangover to the tenth power. Disorientation had a cold, maniacal grip on her. She could see blurry images of machines and tubes hanging from her. She felt like the thin border of life and death lie beneath her. The words of others bombarded her and she couldn't grasp their meaning until a few seconds after they had been uttered. Her attention receded until a phrase offered her some explanation. 

  “Gas poisoning... Evacuate the building...”