chapter 2: something that can't be unseen

"Yo."

A voice I've heard before spoke up from behind. I sighed and turn and saw the familiar smile that greeted me. "Hey... Beatrix, right?"

Still standing out of the police line, she rolled her eyes and stared at me. "It's BeaTRICE, not BeaTRIX."

I calmly went back to do my work. BeaTRIX is a suspicious girl to me. One time, I caught her following me, but she had the alibi that she was going to the same place I'm going, which is the mall. Another incident is that when I spotted her looking at me from the rooftop of our school when we were 9th grade. And what's even creepier? She had this creepy smile.

"Go creep out someone else," I said, still doing my work. 

I can sense her frown. "So you think I'm a creep?"

I just ignored her. Seriously, no matter how many times I tried to avoid her, it seems like she is a ghost haunting me. I admit, she is also a detective, but in another country. She must be having a vacation here.

"I saw something at the back of the cabin. Might be useful."

I turned to talk to her but she already left. Huh, that's kinda weird. I expected her not to leave so suddenly. I think I might check the back of the cabin later... eh.

I tried to look for a finger print that is accidentally left. Not even one on the body. Hanah couldn't even find the murder weapon, obviously, a knife. The killer must have taken the murder weapon with them, I conclude. "I'll go to the back of the cabin."

Kyle then volunteered to come with me. Hanah decided that she should stay to look for things we overlooked. I said it is a good idea, so Kyle and I went to the back. 

While walking, I arranged my thoughts of theories. It is possible that the murderer is a hired killer, but couldn't since my statement of Amanda being hated by no one is, somehow, true. Also, because of the stabs, she may be killed for fun. 

"Macaroni!" Kyle exclaimed. 

I got back to my senses and the first thing I saw was something that meant to be seen by people who are ready. Something that can't be unseen...

I barfed.

"Dude!" Kyle helped me calm down. "Are you okay?"

"WHAT KIND OF MURDERER WOULD TAKE OFF THE ORGANS OF THEIR VICTIM AND JUST LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED?!"

"We are not sure if these... uh... lungs... belong to Amanda..." Kyle said and snapped a pic. I can tell that he is feeling sick, seeing this.

How in the world was Beatrice able to witness this scene?! I asked myself. "Kyle? Let's check the victim's back right now."

"Rodger!"

We rushed back to the porch and called Hanah to come. She came and asked what the fuss was all about. I told her that we will explain later, and instructed her to help us turn Amanda's back on top. Hanah agreed, and the three of us lifted the body and succeeded. I nearly fainted when I discovered the truth.

"POTATO FRIES!" Kyle exclaimed. "THOSE WERE HER LUNGS!"

I barfed again. This time, even more.

I didn't want to look at Amanda's back, but thanks to curiosity and my job, I did. It looked a fully opened door. Inside, her lungs are missing. I could almost see her... ribs.

"I think I'm going to get sick..." Hanah said and covered her mouth. 

We all finally calmed down. Truthfully, this is my first murder case to investigate. I usually investigate crimes related to theft. But what is done is done.

"I'll take all of these evidence to the forensic scientists now..." Hanah said. "You two better head back to the office."

Kyle and I nodded and got ready to leave. I haven't been to a forensic laboratory before. The first time I was instructed to go into one, I decided to pass, thanks to Hanah. She described what the lab would look like.

Once in the car we went straight to the police station. We were both silent for the whole ride.

🔪🔪🔪

"I'm still asking myself how did I get into this kind of situation," Kyle said when we arrived. 

"I feel like puking!" I said. "What was that murderer thinking?!"

"Yo."

We both turned to the new voice. "BEATRIX YOU SCARED US!"

Beatrice facepalmed. "For the last time it is BeaTRICE not BeaTRIX!"

I rolled my eyes and suddenly got hit by a thought. "Beatrice," I began. "How did you know that the lungs were there?"

She gave me a surprised look. "Are you kidding me?!" She exclaimed, and turned to Kyle. "This dude does not know that I have the strongest sense of smell!"

I raised an eyebrow and got hit by a flashback...

"I sense someone bringing chocolates!" Beatrice exclaimed. She sniffed the air again like a dog and pointed at Kyle's desk, which is six desks away from hers. "Kyle is bringing chocolates!"

"Oh yeah... right..." I embarrassingly said. "What is happening to my memory?"

"It's understandable,"  Kyle said. "Besides, it happened ten years ago."

I sighed and got to my laptop, which is on top of my desk. I turned it on and began typing my hypothesis in MacroHard Word.

Killer is right handed. Killer may be an aristocrat. Killer may be feminine. Killer kills people for fun. Killer is a psychopath.

I opened my Pictures folder and copy-pasted a picture of Amanda to my document. I also copy-pasted a pictures of a knife, a right hand, and a male/female symbol. I saved the document and turned my laptop screen away from me for my companions to see. "What do you think?"

"Don't print it yet," Beatrice suggested. "Save a copy in a flash drive."

I accepted her suggestion and did what she said. 

"Also, you forgot the picture of the lungs..." Kyle said. "Let me share it to you."

Kyle sent me the picture that I did not want to see... but I had to see it, anyways. I copy-pasted it to the document in the laptop.

"Don't delete any pictures yet, okay?" I told Kyle. He nodded.

I stared at my laptop screen and said, "I think I can't forget what I saw today."