chapter 1: amanda is dead

"Life isn't always what it seems."

I sighed as a drop of coffee spilled on the coffee table. I pulled a napkin from the dispenser and wiped it. Her words repeated all over my head, making me a little guilty. "Rina, you're most probably right."

Rina nodded and went back to sipping her hot chocolate. Even though I tried to bribe her into drinking coffee, she still wouldn't take a sip. "Clever," I muttered, taking a sip from my cup of coffee.

"And what brings me here again?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

I grinned. "Nothing. I just want to hang out with you today."

She rolled her eyes and smile. You see, I have some feelings for Rina. She's charming, sweet and beautiful. I am just her shy best friend, and there's nothing special about me. I'm just someone who looks up on her and admires her, like some other boys.

"Nice day, huh?" Rina asked.

"Yeah, it is."

I met Rina when I was seventh grade. Its hard to get along with someone in a new school, for people like me. I managed to navigate through the halls without bumping into someone for a good ten minutes, until I accidentally bumped to her. Since then, we hang out and became best friends.

"So..." I began. "How's work?"

Rina stared outside the glass window. "Tiring," she said, taking another sip from her cup. "I'll probably be reporting about how the company's progressing."

I smiled and began wondering if being a CEO is tiring. Sure, based on Rina's statements, it is challenging...

"Oh my god..."

I got back to my senses and looked at her with a curious expression. Her smile is gone now. Her hands are trembling while holding her phone. Worried, I asked her what was wrong.

"Amanda was found dead."

I looked at her in disbelief. Amanda had the smallest chance to die. I knew her ever since fifth grade, she was a classmate of mine and somehow transferred to the same school as I did. She is not suicidal, nor nobody has a grudge on her. What on earth happened?

"Theodore." Rina took both of my hands and held them tight. "You're a detective. Please investigate why Amanda died." She looked at her cup of hot chocolate with sadness. "She's a close friend of mine..."

I nodded. This may not be my first time investigating a crime, but I was even more determined to do this than before. Having to investigate a crime wherein someone I know is a victim kind of made me nervous. But I'm doing this for Rina. Maybe I'll have the courage to ask her out after this situation...

Rina stood up and I followed her. "I have to go now," she said, picking up her bag. "I have to go help in the company." She looked at me straight in the eyes. "Promise me that you'll solve this case."

I nodded again. I don't want Rina to be sad or heartbroken. I love her.

We both went out of the cafe and head on separate ways. Right now, I'm planning to head to the police department.

"Yo bro!" a faint voice greeted.

I tilted my head a little and saw Kyle waving at me. I waved back and pushed the glass door open and went inside. Seeing him beside Hanah made me feel like smiling, but I decided to be serious. "So..." I crossed my arms. "Is there something wrong?"

Hanah looked at me. "Amanda Othella was found dead about an one hour ago." She looked back at reading the reports. "We should go to the crime scene right now. We should probably hurry."