Chapter 2

Late one night, at the Sixth Street Orphanage, twelve-year-old Kali had finished packing her things in her backpack and was planing to sneak out while everyone else was asleep. 

She quietly approached her bedroom window, opened it and was about to leave... but was stopped by a familiar little voice she heard. 

"Kali?" 

The tomboy froze and slowly turned around to see her roommate, a ten-year-old boy with blond spiked hair and glasses, who went by the name Lewis, approach her after coming back from the kitchen with a warm glass of milk. 

"Shh. Go back to bed, Lewis" Kali whispered to the younger boy. "Mildred might hear you"

"You're leaving me?" Lewis asked his only friend and roommate, sounding heartbroken. 

The tough tomboy sighed with her eyes close, coming back in and over to Lewis. "I'm sorry... but it's time for me to go"

Lewis sighed, looking away sadly that now the only person who understand him was leaving forever. Kali frowned, not wanting to make her friend sad but she didn't have a choice. 

"Look, I don't want to leave, but I have to find my family" The tomboy explained, sounding like she still had some hope that her family was alive. "I know they're out there, just like how there's a family out there for you somewhere" 

Kali soon had Lewis look at her directly in the face. "Lewis, look at me... I promise, you'll get adopted someday... There's a place for everyone... even you"

It hadn't been easy for Lewis to get adopted, he was already on failed interview number 50. 

Lewis did his best to smile, knowing he had to be strong for his friend and himself. "Thanks... and I know you'll find your family too, wherever they are" 

Now that Kali was leaving, Lewis would be bunking with the new kid who arrived only a few weeks ago, Michael Yagoobian. But everyone in the orphanage just called him 'Goob'.  

Kali smiled back at Lewis then went towards the window, looking back one more time to say goodbye to the place and friends she was leaving. Then, she was gone... disappearing into the darkness of night. 

Kali was in a deep trance when she started hearing voices. 

"Kali?... Kali?... KALI!" 

The adventure girl suddenly woke up and came back into focus, revealing it to be only a flashback. 

As she came back to her senses, she realized that she was at the science fair in the school gym with the others. The family looked over to see the judges preparing to inspect some of the students projects. One of the judges, the woman, seemed more crazier then the rest since she hadn't slept in eight days.  

"Boy, she sure seems a bit on the loony side" Violet mentioned about that crazy woman, making the Harpercop siblings hide snickers. 

"Gah!" Jack-Jack babbled, seeming to enjoy this place very much. 

"Wow, look at all this stuff!" Dash said while zipping around, but not too fast to give away his powers. "It's so cool!" 

"It sure is" Bob agreed with his son. 

"Yeah" Walter nodded, looking around and admiring all the interesting science projects. 

"I've never seen anything like it" Helen added while carrying Jack-Jack. 

Just then, the family spotted Kali's good friends, Teeders, David, and Cynthia near by, waving at them before they came over. The adventure kids were all happy to be back together, while Violet and Dash were glad to see them again.